firefox for armv7

Request a package to be made here. Make sure you have searched before requesting.

firefox for armv7

Postby evilxsystems » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Hey-

I'm running arch on a samsung galaxy note 10.1. I'd like to have firefox so I can use the addin zotero, which is a scientific reference management package that integrates with libreoffice. There is a standalone build of zotero that integrates with chromium but no build of zotero for arm. I either need to build zotero for arm or find a build of firefox and I figured that someone must have built firefox for armv7? is the a repo anywhere that has it?

-Jason
evilxsystems

Re: firefox for armv7

Postby xenoxaos » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:12 pm

Currently, I would try to build zotero for arm. Firefox has been a little bit of a bear to get built. It's looking like it's running out of memory while linking, even on a device with 2G + swap.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Until the mozilla developers get their act together and can manage to get their program linking within reasonable system requirements (ie. less than a 64 bit system, less than 4-6GB of RAM), Firefox is a no go for us. Chromium on the other hand isn't a problem to build, and will continue to be the supported browser on this distro.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby d3Xt3r » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:44 am

Is it possible to build on a PC/server and make a binary package instead? I'd really love to use Firefox on my ARM device - it's the only thing keeping me from switching over from Ubuntu. :(
d3Xt3r

Postby moonman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:18 am

1 thing I never tried is to add $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'LDFLAGS+=" -Wl,--no-keep-memory') at the start of the build() in PKGBUILD to reduce linker memory usage, but then I don't have a arm device with ~2GB of ram anyway
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:22 am

That trick didn't work, still went outside of 2GB and failed.
kmihelich
Developer

Postby obywatel3vity » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Maybe we should focus on this kind of solution:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6276

help me debug this and we have ff armv6 and armv7 in.
obywatel3vity

Return to Package Requests