owfs, 1-wire file system and related apps

Request a package to be made here. Make sure you have searched before requesting.

owfs, 1-wire file system and related apps

Postby donv » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:40 pm

I would love to see owfs supplied as a package. I am using a dockstar as a replacement for an NSLU-2 in this application (temperature and humidity monitoring). owfs is available as an ipkg in the uNSLUng environment, it would be great to have it for Arch Linux ARM. It appears that a build file is available for Arch in their repository. Any chance of getting this one packaged here?

Thanks,
Don

See http://www.owfs.org/ for more on this software.
donv

Re: owfs, 1-wire file system and related apps

Postby pepedog » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:25 pm

This all compiled fine
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/owfs/owfs/2.8p7/owfs-2.8p7.tar.gz
tar -xzf owfs-2.8p7.tar.gz
./configure --with-perl5=/usr/bin/perl --with-python=/usr/bin/python2
make
make install (you have to have package ed for that)
pacman -S ed')
Don't know if those options are ok, all files end up in /opt
If you have the hardware, why not try this before a package is made, compile time was quite quick.
pepedog
Developer

Postby donv » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi, thanks for the quick work. OK, so I am totally new to Arch Linux ARM so please forgive some possibly stupid questions.

It appears you have given me the recipe to follow to try doing the same on my machine, right? So first I will do the work to install Arch Linux ARM linux on the box and then in a shell running on that box, follow the same commands you show in the code window from your post? This is native to the Dockstar machine, not on another box, right?

Then I can try setting up the config files on the Dockstar and running owfs?

If this all works, then I let you know and you'll build a package for the next people coming down the road (which may be me with my second machine :D )?

Thanks!
donv

Postby pepedog » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:22 pm

I assumed you were running already, oh well.
Yes, do it on the Dockstar. You will have to install some packages before compiling
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Sy base-devel file which python2')
There might be more to install? See what it complains about. Think perl is there by default?
pepedog
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:00 am

There's an AUR package, I'll throw it into the autobuilder.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby pepedog » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:26 am

1st place I looked was there. Damn iPad auto-correct.
pepedog
Developer

Postby donv » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:47 pm

OK, I've got my dockstar set up with Arch Linux ARM and pacman loaded the owfs package that was created by kmihelich. It works great from the command line - thanks! This was a much easier experience for me than doing the similar effort on the NSLU2 - the required kernel modules were already loaded, so the devices were detected and the drivers were correctly applied with no twiddling. :D

I just need to find where the owfs component commands' config files are stored (in my prior experience, they were in /opt/etc on uNSLUng) and get those modified to suit my needs (or create them), so everything can load and be set up automatically on restart.

There is one more owfs-related package that I'd love to have to support this: temploggerd . It provides the capability to create a round robin database to store and display the resulting sensors data through html pages and graphs. Unfortunately, I don't believe this one is in the Arch AUR listing. Should I create that request as a separate post?
donv

Postby kmihelich » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 pm

You can see what files are installed for a package by running 'pacman -Ql owfs' for example. Should be able to find the config through there. It looks like the package should have owhttpd, which does some web stuff for owfs. It might be that what you're looking for is already included in the package I created and was left out of the nslu2 stuff. You don't need to create a new topic though, just let me know in this one.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby donv » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:20 pm

Thanks, I will look for the config files that way. Thanks for the newbie coaching!

Yes, owhttpd does provide some web service, but the temploggerd package, which layers on top of owfs (created by Christian Magnusson, who helps with owfs devel.) is separate from it. owhttpd as part of the owfs suite lets you instantaneously browse the fuse filesystem created via owfs through a browser. temploggerd sets up the capability to store the owfs data in an rrdtool database, for future access and display in various ways. The temploggerd generated files are served by a standard web server on the box.

The source is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/owfs/files/temploggerd/.
donv

Postby donv » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:38 pm

OK, it looks like the config files were not created by default. They are not definitively required but make setting start-up options easier. I have ones I can use from my prior work. I presume there is not an issue with locating them in /opt/etc/owfs (creating that directory under the otherwise empty /opt)?
donv

Next

Return to Package Requests