restoring rootfs on pogoplug pro

This is for Community Supported ARMv6 devices that can use the ARMv6h repo

restoring rootfs on pogoplug pro

Postby jan1973 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:10 am

Hi,

I bought a second-hand pogoplug pro that has several problems. The pogoplug software doesn't work well anymore and I would like to restore the mtd2 partition to its original state so I will have a working pogoplug again.

I've found instructions for the dockstar at viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1323
although I"m not sure if they apply to what I'm looking for.

My questions are: where can find a copy of the original rootfs for the pogoplug pro? The instructions for the dockstar seem to just flash the kernel and the initrd ramdisk? It doesn't seem to flash the mtd2 jffs2 filesystem? Are the initrd and the kernel located on mtd1 or mtd2? The kernel version is Linux version 2.6.31.6_SMP_820 (bdietrich@bd.pogoplug.com) (gcc version 4.4.1 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) ) #100 SMP Fri May 6 20:38:58 PDT 2011, so this is the original I presume. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the kernel or initrd, so it's just the mtd2 rootfs filesystem that I wish to restore. I"m a bit confused, maybe someone can help me on my way.

The plug I have does boot normally, can be ssh'ed into and I do have a rs232 ttl cable at hand.

Thanks for your anwers,
Jan
jan1973

Re: restoring rootfs on pogoplug pro

Postby Socaltom » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm confused, are you currently booting archlinuxarm? Or stock pogoplug firmware?
If you are booting arch, there is a revert script to restore it to stock available in the downloads area. The original pogo FS is still there, the arch set up just points to the hard drive instead of the firmware for booting.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby jan1973 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:45 pm

It's running the original stock firmware plus some optware. However, the pogoplug software doesn't work well anymore due some stuff the previous owner did, so I want to revert to the stock firmware as it came out of the box. Broken funtionality as I found out so far is pogoplug software doesn't update and the wifi adapter doesn't work due kernel module not being on the filesystem.

Update: I somehow trashed the system, system doesn't boot anymore, bootloader is still working but when booting it ends in a kernel panic. So I guess I really need the nanddump now
jan1973

Postby Socaltom » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:16 pm

Well,
If you get it booting again, I'd look over the boot from Sata thread. If your not liking the Pogo firmware, then install arch, even the obsolete FS is better than what you have.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Socaltom

Postby jan1973 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Welll, my goal is to restore it as a working pogoplug. So, If anyone can help me with a nanddump of mtd2 I would be really happy.
jan1973

Postby jan1973 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:16 am

Tom, I didn't fully appreciate your answer I guess. After some more searching I think recovery of the rootfs partition is something I need to do through booting through sata, so thanks for pointing me in that direction. So I will borrow an esata drive and see if I can get things going again. However, I do still need a nanddump of the original rootfs as it's my goal to restore the original pogoplug software. So if anyone can get me a nanddump of the rootfs of a pogoplug pro I would be greatful.
jan1973

Postby Socaltom » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:22 pm

I have a PPro,
How would one perform a nandump?
used to be owned by me
Socaltom

Postby Socaltom » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:52 am

If you are running Arch, and it was installed by the directions, there is a revert script that will return in to stock. Search the forum, or look in the downloads under oxnas for the revert script.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Socaltom

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Spam account comment removed.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Community Supported