Arch Linux on i.MX287

This forum is for i.MX233 based devices including the OLinuXino

Arch Linux on i.MX287

Postby throstur62 » Sun May 04, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi,
We have a coustom designed board based on Freescale i.MX287 ARM processor. We are currently using Debian for it, but have run into some problems with that, plus not liking lack of documentation.

I would like to test Arch Linux for this board. Simple stupid question: How can I do that?
Note that although a software programmer for 30 years, I'm not very famillar with building Linux kernels, etc. So I might need an answer in human language :-)
Regards
TJ
throstur62

Re: Arch Linux on i.MX287

Postby kmihelich » Sun May 04, 2014 2:29 pm

You need a 3.0+ kernel configured correctly:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/sys ... README#n39

Then just use one of the ARMv5 root filesystem tarballs, replace the kernel in there with yours, and you're done.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby throstur62 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Ok interesting. So I tried that. I soon found out that we had to add some modules in the kernel. After that the boot ran quite long but in the end stops at:

[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface.
systemd[1]: Sent message type=signal sender=n/a destination=n/a object=/org/freedesktop/systemd1 interface=org.freedesktop.systemd1.Manager member=JobRemoved cookie=21 reply_cookie=0 error=n/a
systemd[1]: Sent message type=signal sender=n/a destination=n/a object=/org/freedesktop/systemd1 interface=org.freedesktop.systemd1.Manager member=StartupFinished cookie=22 reply_cookie=0 error=n/a
systemd[1]: Sent message type=signal sender=n/a destination=n/a object=/org/freedesktop/systemd1/unit/graphical_2etarget interface=org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties member=PropertiesChanged cookie=23 reply_cookie=0 error=n/a
systemd[1]: Sent message type=signal sender=n/a destination=n/a object=/org/freedesktop/systemd1/unit/multi_2duser_2etarget interface=org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties member=PropertiesChanged cookie=24 reply_cookie=0 error=n/a
systemd[1]: Sent message type=signal sender=n/a destination=n/a object=/org/freedesktop/systemd1/unit/getty_2etarget interface=org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties member=PropertiesChanged cookie=25 reply_cookie=0 error=n/a
systemd-journald[605]: Failed to parse message, ignoring.
systemd-journald[605]: Failed to parse message, ignoring.
---- Stops here frozen ---

This seems to have something to do witha graphical adapter. My i.MX287 board does not have any graphical adapter. I only run command line. How can I disable this Graphical Interface load?
throstur62

Postby kmihelich » Tue May 06, 2014 2:14 pm

That is just a systemd target, which by default has nothing depending on it. That's not an issue you should be chasing.

More likely than not at this point is kernel misconfiguration for what systemd needs.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby throstur62 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi,
Actually it was not frozen. This was the output to the debug-serial port. After I connected to to it vi SSH terminal, I managed to logon and everything seemd to be woring fine. So now I have a kernel and a working ARCH Linux rootfs.

One question. The output to the debug-serial port is probably quite CPU consuming. It is allways printing someting to it, whenever I do anyting in the SSH terminal. How can I disable it?
throstur62

Postby kmihelich » Tue May 06, 2014 5:59 pm

The same way you quiet the console on any Linux system, by using arguments to the kernel to control verbosity.
kmihelich
Developer

Return to Freescale i.MX233