fastest way to backup data from goflex home sata?

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

fastest way to backup data from goflex home sata?

Postby checktravis » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:31 am

My goflex died and I just got it back to where i can ssh into it. The drive has several errors (because I didn't know what the heck i was doing)

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 243201.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
')

So, I have ssh access, and I have serial to usb. I can mount large partition and browse files but when i tried to copy from SFTP or copy directly to a attached usb stick, the speed was incredibly slow. I left a 5g single file copying to the usb for a few hours (rsync) and it didn't get through half the file. probably not helped by the cylinder issue.

Is there a way to copy from the drive through the serial connection? Any other suggestions?

I just want to get my photos and videos off before I reformat everything.
Last edited by checktravis on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
checktravis

Re: fasted way to back up data from goflex home sata?

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:45 am

The cylinder alignment will not cause transfer performance degradation that bad. If possible, your best bet is direct transfer on a PC.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: fasted way to back up data from goflex home sata?

Postby checktravis » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:55 pm

I'm asking how to go about that. I have a serial to usb connection and with a tftp server on my mac, I've sent boot images to the goflex but I don't know how to receive from it, or if that is even the best way to do it.

at the moment, it's restored to the factory linux ("hipserve") with ssh, usb, and serial connections.
checktravis

Re: fastest way to backup data from goflex home sata?

Postby Socaltom » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:34 am

boot linux from a live CD, then put your GF drive in a usb adapter and hook it up to the PC, mount it and transfer off what you want. You might even try doing an fsck to see if it can clean it up.
Tom

another alternative would be boot the GF from another drive, then mount this drive. can the GFH boot from usb stick?
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby checktravis » Thu May 12, 2016 8:48 pm

He's dead, Jim, dead.

I've tried everything, even this "freezer overnight" trick I found. I am getting errors when I try to do anything with the sata drive "scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery"

I had tried wiping the drive by zeroing out with dd and then removed all the partitions. After freezing, it connected long enough to start writing new partitions but then it failed. I think it may be beyond help.

The base itself seems to be ok, is there a replacement drive? I am finding the whole thing available on amazon, but can't find the net drives themselves. I could use the USB but the r/w speed seems to be very slow.

Am i better off finding a new NAS solution?
checktravis

Postby Socaltom » Mon May 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Seagate has some drive tools on their website. I recommend running those and see what they report. But it does sound like the drive may have died. For the goflex home, any 3.5 inch sata drive should work. There are several videos on youtube about how to open the case the drive comes in. If you can do that you should be able to replace the drive in it.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby habibie » Thu May 26, 2016 9:42 pm

Perhaps, cfdisk /dev/sdX (where X is the partition) would have fixed the problem. Since you have wiped out the whole drive, perhaps you can try to delete/recreate/format the partition and hope it is still usable.
habibie

Return to Marvell Kirkwood