kernel too old after pogoplug update

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

kernel too old after pogoplug update

Postby alui » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:17 pm

I have a pogoplug e02. I just did a system update (via pacman -Syu), and now none of the basic commands (cp, ls, etc) work (give me kernel is too old message). I understand I'd have to upgrade my kernel to kirkwood, but I don't know how to copy the update to my pogoplug since I can no longer run any linux commands. Could someone guide me through this?

Thanks
alui

Re: kernel too old after pogoplug update

Postby graysky » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:22 pm

So you updated, rebooted and are presented with the system in a state where it booted, but you cannot use any of the coreutils?
graysky
Developer

Postby alui » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:42 pm

No, I haven't rebooted yet. I'm still ssh into my pogoplug
(via putty). After the pacman update finished, I got a bunch
of kernel too old errors (during the update), and noticed none
of the basic commands (ls, cp, etc) work.
alui

Postby moonman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:56 am

You can't do much right now on the device. Your best bet right now is to use another linux box (doesn't matter if it's x86, arm or whatever) and replace /boot/uImage with the one from this package http://ca.us.mirror.archlinuxarm.org/ar ... pkg.tar.xz and pray it boots up after.

If your uboot is not too old your device boots up you will have to install linux-kirkwood package to properly install the kernel and modules.

Now if you get this far, I would recommend updating Uboot and installing linux-kirkwood-dt.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby alui » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks moonman. I was able to recover my pogoplug using ubuntu live from my laptop pc. Subsequently, I updated the kernel and all packages, and got my samba running as before. I'm not planning to touch this again ... :lol:
alui

Postby graysky » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:34 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('alui', 'I')'m not planning to touch this again ... :lol:

Not a good idea if you're serious... Arch is a living animal. Delaying updates is a bad idea and will only cause you headaches down the road. You might want to select a non-rolling release distro if you don't want to mess with periodic updates.
graysky
Developer

Postby pepedog » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:20 am

A non rolling release can be a mistake too, either updates stop or release upgrade breaks things.
I am living testimony that in running servers for 18 years this happens. I would rather live with single humps than many at at time.
pepedog
Developer

Postby moonman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:28 am

Exactly what everyone said above. lunux-kirkwood is planned to be discontinued in the future and you might end up with the same problem down the road. Update everything now and keep it updated going forward
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to Marvell Kirkwood