root lockout blocking access to console

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

root lockout blocking access to console

Postby beyondbuxton » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello,

I apparently left a non-essential filesystem in fstab without a nofail flag. My fault.

After a reboot, it's of course trying to fsck that filesystem and for some reason fails. The next message displayed on serial console is that the root account is locked and console access isn't allowed. If I hit enter, it loops back to the fsck and again messages that the root account is locked out preventing console.

I did install the rescue system when updating to the new uboot. And I could order a usb-to-sata adapter and edit the fstab to be a 'nofail'. Before I go through either of those, I wanted to ask if there's a more simple approach? Maybe something like a 'linux single' at the boot: prompt? I don't even know what it is, but I have physical access to the box via serial console now, so any other options/suggestions much appreciated.

Regards,
BB
beyondbuxton

Re: root lockout blocking access to console

Postby moonman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:40 am

Just fireup rescue system, mount the drive a modify fstab accordingly. SATA port is hotpluggable
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to Marvell Kirkwood