GoFlex Home: replace broken HDD

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

GoFlex Home: replace broken HDD

Postby malapascua » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:50 am

Hello everyone,
for quite some time I ran my GoFlex Home with Archlinux to host a smb server for pictures and a resilio(bittorrent)sync instance. Everything worked out quite well, I followed the instructions given here:
https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/seagate-goflex-home
Unfortunately, a couple of weeks ago, the HDD broke down. I put it into my desktop to check its health status and it turns out that it is completely wasted. I can not even copy a single file without getting errors.
Today I bought a replacement HDD but as I can not start over from the beginning of the instructions because obviously the stock seagate firmware is not on the machine anymore, I am struggling to find the starting point for reinstalling Archlinux.

Can someone point me to the correct step from where I can resume the installation instructions?
From my understanding, I would start at point 10 where they format the drive. Is that correct?

I can prepare the new hdd on my desktop machine if necessary (and probably the faster way?) .

Cheers!
malapascua

Re: GoFlex Home: replace broken HDD

Postby moonman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:43 am

That would be correct.

You already have U-Boot installed on the device. So the idea is to format the drive and extract the rootfs tarball onto the first partition and that's it.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: GoFlex Home: replace broken HDD

Postby malapascua » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:43 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'T')hat would be correct.

You already have U-Boot installed on the device. So the idea is to format the drive and extract the rootfs tarball onto the first partition and that's it.

Thank you for your answer!
I will try to follow the steps as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Sebastian
malapascua

Return to Marvell Kirkwood