No HDD detected on GoFLEX Home

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

No HDD detected on GoFLEX Home

Postby habibie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:25 am

I have my Seagate GoFLEX Home up running with Arch Linux ARM OS off of an external USB2 port with a USB2 memory stick. When I plugged in a 1 TB SATA HDD into its SATA docking port, dmesg does not show any log entry of a /dev/sdbX partition (SATA HDD). It looks like the OS fails to detect the SATA HDD. Has anyone encountered such a problem and can offer a solution to this?
habibie

Re: No HDD detected on GoFLEX Home

Postby habibie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:55 pm

So, no one here knows why ALARM OS can't detect a SATA HDD plugged into the SATA docking port of a Seagate GoFLEX Home when boots off of an external USB memory stick?
habibie

Postby moonman » Fri May 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Listen to HDD. Does it sound like it is trying to spin up but fails? I've had at least one HDD that would not get enough current from goflex and failed to spin up.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby habibie » Sat May 05, 2018 2:38 am

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my OP above.

The original uboot on my Seagate GoFLEX Home unit has been replaced with Bodhi's U-Boot for Kirkwood. It will be able to boot various OSes, i.e. ALARM, debian ARM, and/or LEDE/OpenWRT, off the 1 TB SATA HDD or any USB memory stick. The 1 TB SATA HDD I mentioned above is the original SATA HDD shipped with the Seagate GoFLEX Home unit. Currently, it contains a debian ARM OS in its 1st partition. When plugged into the SATA docking port on my Seagate GoFLEX Home unit, it will boot off of the 1 TB SATA HDD. When a USB memory stick that contains either an ALARM, a debian, and/or a LEDE/OpenWRT OS, the unit will boot off of the USB memory stick. Once properly booted off of a USB memory stick (with ALARM OS), I plugged the 1 TB SATA HDD into the SATA docking port and it starts to spin up. However, the output from dmesg does not show if the 1 TB SATA HDD has been detected. I also tried this with a debian ARM OS on a USB memory stick and encountered the same problem. Perhaps, this is a hardware issue?
habibie

Postby balanga » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:44 pm

If you've installed Bodhi's uBoot, I'd suggest checking:-

https://forum.doozan.com/list.php?3
balanga

Return to Marvell Kirkwood