Restore working Pogoplug to factory settings

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Restore working Pogoplug to factory settings

Postby cmadooly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Hello,

I've searched for this topic all day and just was just a bit skeptical about some of the articles I read. I'm hoping a kind soul can assist me with this. Feel free to post links and give me cookie cutter responses. I have no problem with research but am not a linux guru.

I have a Pogoplug Pink v2 that I was able to modify using this tutorial: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5 ... 2-pinkgray

The guide worked perfectly fine. I was even able to install samba and successfully share my drives via smb and have a 1Gig USB flash driving running it all.

After using it for about a day, I realized that I'm better off using the original pogoplug software, with the my.pogoplug.com services. I haven't removed the USB drive and rebooted to see if it goes back to its original settings. Doubt that will happen and afraid I'll brick the device.

I swear I thought I saw an article on archlinuxarm.org that described how you can restore it to factory but I can't seem to find it or find anything on google about it. I have seen articles about using the serial cables to flash the device but those typically go for guys who have bricked their pogoplugs and can't access it via SSH. I can still access my pogoplug box via SSH.

I was going to follow this method: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5 ... 2-pinkgray
but it seems outdated as Arch Linux ARM.com no longer exists.

So does anyone know a way to restore my pogoplug back to its factory settings when using the guide I linked above.

Thanks in advance!
cmadooly

Re: Restore working Pogoplug to factory settings

Postby cmadooly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:38 pm

As an update. I've done the following things to get the pogoplug service back online (taken from a couple of different threads)

Mount the filesystem:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mkdir -p /tmp/pogoroot
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock2 /tmp/pogoroot')

Edit the rcS file:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'vi /tmp/pogoroot/etc/init.d/rcS')

You should see a line at the bottom that says something like "uncomment the line below to enable the pogoplug service" And the line reads: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '#/etc/init.d/hbmgr.sh start')

So just uncomment it (by deleting the # sign)

Make the filesystem read-only again:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mount -o r,remount /')

Reboot
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/sbin/reboot')

I removed the USB key that had the installation on it while the pogoplug LED was off, a few seconds of suspense and the LED started to blink, then was steady. I checked my.pogoplug.com and the service was back on.

Now, I'm pretty sure that I'm still running the modified firmware and not the original. I think what I've just done is answer 'No' to the question that gets asked when you initially install the modified firmware (from the link I posted in my first comment above). So based on what I've read, I'm risking the possibility of my device bricking if Cloud Engines pushes an automatic update.

If I find out how to revert the old firmware then I'll post that as well and someone can add that to the wiki. Or if someone knows then please reply as I've seen several posts about restoring to factory firmware but nothing that was noob friendly.
cmadooly

Postby cmadooly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Another note (I figure I write this up in case someone else needs help).

Saw this thread, viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1412, and according to a user, if you remove the USB key and then uncomment the line I specified above, then everything should be back to the way it was.

Does this hold true if Cloud Engines sends an automatic update?
cmadooly

Postby radengr » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:37 am

I have a question about restoring the factory firmware too. I'm not planning on it but it is always nice to know you can :D

Yesterday when I got my two new pink Pogoplugs I hooked one up and went through the backup procedure given by Alexander Holler http://ahsoftware.de/dockstar/

This basically is just using dd to back up the partitions, followed by making an sha1 hash:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
dd if=/dev/mtd0 of=mtd0.img
sha1sum mtd0.img >mtd0.img.sha1')

(Repeated for mtd0-mtd3). I then readed a little bit more, and now my understanding is that this doesn't actually work right? That is, using dd to put these back would brick your devices? So I then did the following did use nanddump to back up my new PogoPlug:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
cd /tmp
wget http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/nanddump
chmod +x nanddump
cd /tmp/.cement/mnt_sda1/
mkdir backup
cd backup
/tmp/nanddump -nf mtd0 /dev/mtd0
/tmp/nanddump -nf mtd1 /dev/mtd1
/tmp/nanddump -nf mtd2 /dev/mtd2
/tmp/nanddump -nf mtd3 /dev/mtd3
sha1sum mtd0 >mtd0.sha1
sha1sum mtd1 >mtd1.sha1
sha1sum mtd2 >mtd2.sha1
sha1sum mtd3 >mtd3.sha1
umount /dev/sda1')

Could I restore my device to a factory state by using nandwrite to put these images back to mtd0-3? If not, is there another way to perform a full backup? I still have the second new PogoPlug, and I wanted to make sure I had this down before I put ArchLinux on it too.

EDIT: Fixed a typo in the backup script. (Thanks WarheadsSE!). There might be more, please don't run blindly! :o
Last edited by radengr on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radengr

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:29 pm

There's a typo in that script :)

Assuming you've got no reason to futz with that NAND, you'll not need to do that. It's possible though.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby radengr » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Opps! I assure you the type wasn't actually put into the pogoplug... I retyped it from memory later. :?

I think you are absolutely right, I don't anticipate ever touching my devices NAND again. Right now everything is running great, and I understand that I don't need to reflash to the old bootloader to go back to the original software. I just figure it doesn't ever hurt to have a backup if I need to use a JTAG in the future.
radengr

Postby synaptix » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 pm

I know I must be doing something wrong because the mount -t (specifying jffs2) seems to mount the file system ro. Thus, when I go to write the edited rcS file, it wont write back. I tried mounting it -o rw, but that doesn't seem to help.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
synaptix

Postby gits4real » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:53 am

Bump...

I am having the same issue as synaptix, namely whenever I try to edit the rcS file I am told "Read-only file system" or "Read-only file"...

Any help? :D

Thanks!
gits4real

Postby pepedog » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:54 am

mount -o remount,rw /
now edit things
mount -o remount,ro /
pepedog
Developer

Postby ezjam » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:13 am

Hi all,

I have a Pogoplug pro with Arch Linux ARM. My original intent was to park it behind my living room receiver and have it play MP3 via MPD. However, it appears that the kernel does not support USB sound. Hence I am attempting to put the original firmware back on it. However, I am unable to follow the instructions above. As it appears that I do not have a /dev/mtdblock2 file system. fdisk -l only reveals the usb drive. When I run the following command,

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'm')ount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock2 /tmp/pogoroot

I get the following error message,

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'm')ount: unknown filesystem type 'jffs2'

Therefore not only does it appear that I do not have a /dev/mtdblock2, but mount does not support jffs2 filesystem.

Any body have any clue as to how to restore Pogoplug pro?

ezjam
ezjam

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood