Re-enabling Automounting

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Re-enabling Automounting

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:33 pm

List the mounted partitions:
mount

List the known partitions:
cat /proc/partitions
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby roncova » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Is there any update on the issue of having a connected USB drive mount at startup? I am running a v3 and the USB drive will automount fine if I unplug it and plug it back into the Pogo, but if the Pogo is powered down it won't see the drive until it is removed and reconnected.
roncova

Postby kmihelich » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:03 pm

For devices connected at boot, you need to add an fstab entry.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby jabba78 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:25 am

How do you DIS-able automounting? I'm a noob , sorry.
jabba78

Postby kikin81 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Dear ALARM fellows,
My pogoplug used to mount my exfat partition on boot with the following command which I added to /etc/rc.local
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
# Mount external hdd
mount.exfat-fuse /dev/sdb1 /mnt/exfat
')
Unfortunately, it does not mount. When I run the command, I get the following error:
FUSE exfat 0.9.5
ERROR: failed to open `/dev/sdb1'.
')
Running the command previously posted to see the unmounted partitions does list sdb1.
cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

8 0 117220824 sda
8 1 117218241 sda1
31 0 131072 mtdblock0
31 1 14336 mtdblock1
31 2 116736 mtdblock2
8 16 1953512448 sdb
8 17 1953512447 sdb1
')

My question is, is this a FUSE exfat 0.9.5 error? I used the command on the OP about re-enabling Automounting, but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
kikin81

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:57 pm

Device, last update date, and kernel version.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:50 am

Can someone clarify what ACTION=="remove" stands for? Is it when a USB Enclosure cable or Thumb drive is physically detached from Dockstar USB port? Or when a USB enclosure power is switched Off, it also constitutes drive removal? Or something else?

The rules work fine when switching a USB enclosure On/Off or hooking up a USB Thumb to the Dockstar. But the Clean up code doesn't seem to work: after drive removal (USB enclosure switched Off) it doesn't delete the directories where partitions were mounted, resulting in empty Samba shares still accessible in Windows, which may result in writing data to these folders that will be substituted by a newly mounted drive next time. It also overcrowds the view and confuses a user.

Its desirable to fix this issue, and also add the rule to delete (or hide) corresponding Samba shares if present, when partitions are dismounted. Similar rule should be added to device halt & shutdown code. Otherwise Windows Explorer stalls each time Dockstar is shut down (Samba stopped), resulting in its eventual restart.
sambul13

Postby sambul13 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:28 pm

I checked with lsof, and found that uboot-automount doesn't delete USB drive folders after unmounting the drive in case when the empty folder is still accessed for no longer existing reason by some processes like Samba or miniDLNA related. I wonder if its possible to amend the rules to kill all process handles accessing the a folder created with udev-automount (fuser -k myfolder) once the partition is unmounted from it, without killing the processes since they also access other forlders with mounted disks (unless each folder is accessed by other instances of the same processes).
sambul13

Postby more10 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:06 am

I can successfully mount my usb memory using the udev rules, however I am unable to unmount it as an ordinary user. I have asked on the arch forum, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=148530, but I don´t expect any useful input from them since the automount rules aren't supported in vanilla arch.

My application (python/nginx/tornado) detects newly mounted usb memories, copies all files on the memory, and then I want to programatically unmount the usb in order to unpower the LED on the usb memory. This will tell the operator that copying is done and it is safe to unplug the usb memory. The application is running under user id "http". I could change the udev rules to mount the device as user "http", but any such change will conflict with future updates of the package.

Grateful for any help on this matter.
more10

Postby sambul13 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:55 am

Don't you have to install udev-automount separately from ArchLinux ARM - how its different from "vanilla" ArchLinux?

Try adding chown command to your app script to change (group or user) ownership to the folder with your mounted FS before unmounting it.
sambul13

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood