uBoot 2016 upgrade on NSA325—but no uEnv.txt file created

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: uBoot 2016 upgrade on NSA325—but no uEnv.txt file create

Postby wpault » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:50 pm

Success. The device boots. Thank you for your help :D I'm finding that the learning curve with uBoot etc. is steep!

However, the boot files are now in /boot/boot not /boot which will corrupt any future kernel upgrade...

I learnt many years ago not to get this wrong! So, please forgive me checking in with you before proceeding:

I still need to:

1. Copy the boot files, currently in /boot in the boot partition, but now mounted in my filesystem at /boot/boot, so that they end up in the /boot directory in the rootfs partition when the boot partition is not mounted
2. Delete the boot partition from the disk's partition table

Is this correct?

Second question. Is my NAND environment really corrupt? Since everything boots is it not "good enough"? I'd rather not risk another flash write unless it was really necessary?
wpault

Postby summers » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:40 pm

There are I think two ways of curing this problem:

1) Change to one partition. So copy the files out of /boot; umount /boot; delete /boot in the partition table. Copy the files back into /boot - but now you can keep them at the top. I'm not sure if you need to rename sda2 as sda1. The clean way of doing all this (that I did) was copy everything off the root partition and boot (I used tar for this, think compressing on the way, to my desk top. My root was about 1GB at the time ...); then delete both the root and boot partition, and create a new partition that covers the whole free area (starting at some like sector 2048 which gives room for uboot and the partition table). Then copy all the files back again. creating /boot as its meant to be.

2) in uboot change the env variable from "bootdir=/boot" to "bootdir=/" and any others like that (e.g. "fdtdir=/boot/dtbs"). Then you can have everything in your your top level of your boot partition.

Which of these you do is up to you - not sure there is much advantage to either. Me I made one big partition, as I was running out of space in root (root is now 2GB - and I still run out of space! such is the growth in arch ...)

As to is you env corrupt - think look at where those spaces were in the print out - although many, don't think I saw one on the main boot route ... as to if you update - its up to you. Yes if you do it enough, the flash will die - me though I do occasionally change and env variable, and it hasn't died yet. Think I also have a few bad blocks, but for me they were off in another part of the flash ...
summers

Postby wpault » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:56 pm

Thanks again for all your help. I followed #2 successfully :D :D :D
wpault

Previous

Return to Marvell Kirkwood