Arch Linux ARM install/Dockstar - Using a Harddrive?

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Arch Linux ARM install/Dockstar - Using a Harddrive?

Postby tno » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I ordered a Dockstar today. Now I have a probably stupid question: Can I install Arch Linux ARM install on the hard drive that connects into the dock instead of using a USB thumb drive?
From the top of my head I see no reason why this should not work: I expect the first partition of the hard drive to be addressed as /dev/sda1 just like any (first) partition on a thumb drive. Right?
Also, having multiple partitions shouldn't be a problem either, right?

That would have several advantages:
- No thumb drive that breaks the usb port because of physical force applied by clumsy people (like me).
- I can use a swap partition without worrying about too many write cycles destroying my media.
- The hard drive is probably faster than any thumb drive I own.

Is there any reason why this might not work, or am I simply too paranoid? I have not worked with devices that could be "bricked" before. :D

Thanks for reading
tno
tno

Re: Arch Linux ARM install/Dockstar - Using a Harddrive?

Postby ndrake » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:59 pm

I recall reading somewhere that using a harddrive might not work because it wouldn't have spun up and been ready to access before the boot loader gives up trying to boot from USB.
ndrake

Postby tylernt » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Yes, using a HD in the dock slot should work.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('ndrake', 'I') recall reading somewhere that using a harddrive might not work because it wouldn't have spun up and been ready to access before the boot loader gives up trying to boot from USB.
You may be able to work around this with a longer bootdelay environment variable in u-Boot.
tylernt

Postby DePingus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:29 pm

I have an external 3.5" HDD in an enclosure connected via USB. The drive enclosure takes power from the wall. It also has its own power switch. I can turn on the enclosure which spins up the HDD before booting up the Dockstar.
DePingus

Postby tno » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:39 pm

Thank you for all your answers. I really appreciate it.
So as long as I set the bootdelay variable to a reasonable amount of time like 15 or 20 seconds, I should be fine?

Let's assume I use the installation script to install Arch Linux ARM install on the hard drive. If that doesn't work out for any reason, can I use the same script again to install it on a flash drive or does the script expect an unmodified boot environment (aka original dockstar u-boot) ?
tno

Postby blurry » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:19 pm

I had mixed success with the bootloader script. It seemed to work half the time, and still had issues if other devices were connected, e.g. a USB DVD drive.

After installing Jeff Doozan's replacement u-boot firmware, no issues. http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/
blurry

Postby jgirot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:14 am

I'm running debian on mine on a WD Elements USB harddrive. Sometimes I have to 'usb reset' in u-boot, but usually it's not a problem. Never had a problem with the kernel panicking because it couldn't find the root device though. I usually leave it up for extended time periods. So not a lot of reboots. About the partitions, I think I have 5 or 6 on one drive no problem. Having swap is good, but not necessary. My guy has been up for 3 days and has 16MB used in swap, but this is also my Mythtv backend. I just restarted MySQL and I'm at ~4MB used in swap.

I say go for it!
jgirot

Postby kmihelich » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:56 pm

I have 3 docks running with Seagate Go drives in the top dock, I have not experienced any problems booting from them. In fact, they're all that's plugged into their respective dock.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby pepedog » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:24 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'I') have 3 docks running with Seagate Go drives in the top dock, I have not experienced any problems booting from them. In fact, they're all that's plugged into their respective dock.

I agree with you, including the fact I have 3 dockstars (unbricked #3 the easy (lazy) way, sent it back and got a new one). One has a swap partition, 2 have swap files.

Dave
pepedog
Developer

Postby Grenti » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:24 pm

How do you set a boot delay in uboot. It's really difficult to boot off of my external hdd. I have to get the timing just right and it's annoying and difficult. Also, how can you ssh when all usb devices are unplugged and I turn on the DockStar. All I get is an orange blinking light.
Grenti

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood