[Goflex Home 3TB] Newbie help

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: [Goflex Home 3TB] Newbie help

Postby phdeez » Sat May 12, 2012 11:14 pm

I think we need to add some info into the wiki about using the 3TB drive with the GoFlex... since a hybrid MBR is required and a lot more work is needed.

Some problems I experienced were:
1) My 3tb drive came from the GoFlex series with the USB3.0 dock, and the GoFlex Home I bought seperately. I initially followed the walkthrough but it did not work- at all. So, I resorted to connecting the drive directly to a Ubuntu machine and installed gdisk there. When I used gdisk to create the partitions it would start my partitions at 256 instead of 2048. I think this was my biggest problem.

2) I was using nc on my machine and when I performed a printenv it would print a page and then disconnect. I thought this might be indicative of a corrupted uboot install, or possibly uboot wasn't completly configured to boot.

3) I was really concerned about the drive reporting as 748GB when I did allow it to boot with nc enabled, however after reading ajblowing's post, I realized it was expected. I don't think I saw a post like that from the OP, or maybe I overlooked it. Because of this, I followed davygravy's walkthrough here but couldn't get it to work over tftp, I loaded it via a usb flash drive with fatload outlined here, which then cleared all my uboot settings, and required a serial connection. Thankfully I had a usb->serial cable (from my dockstar days :) ). (I used this page to figure out the defaults values for the GoFlex).

4) Honestly, the main reason I was doing all of this was to run the system from the SATA drive instead of a flash drive, which should be more reliable. However, I also didn't expect the drive to continue to run hot as it was on the usb3 cradle. Can others with the system installed on the SATA drive advise if their drive is running warm to the touch? I guess I'll try to run it from a flash drive and see how it goes...

Anyways, thanks for the posts and I appreciate all the knowledge here.
phdeez

Postby phdeez » Tue May 15, 2012 7:29 am

Installed the system on a usb stick, booted fine but 3tb drive still running in an active/idle state per hdparm (and hot). But, unlike when it was connected to the usb dock to a dockstar, the 3tb drive on the SATA port can be read with hdparm and more importantly, go into standby mode when not in use. (hdparm -y /dev/sda - run every 15mins to make sure it's in standby).

I guess I'll go with this, and the swapfile on another drive. Now I've got >5TB of storage on this device (3tb-SATA + 2tb-USB + 4g rootfs- USB Flash + usb dvd-r drive).
phdeez

Postby ssjgohon » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 am

Hey all,

So I just got one of these Goflex Home box's and after reading several sites etc it seem I can get the use outta this thing using ArchLinux and SAMBA. (all i wanted is a big disk i can manage on the network, is that ot much to ask? :) )

So the thing i see is that the install guide isnt up to par for the 3TB drive (which i have) and I was wondering if someone has an easy guide to get this up and running.

Any help would be appriciated

Thanks!
ssjgohon

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:33 am

You will need to prepare it with a GPT partition set with and MBR hybrid.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby ssjgohon » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Ah, is it possible to do so while following http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5 ... oflex-home ? or shoud that be done in another fashion
ssjgohon

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Make it with fdisk, just leave the partition to size: ~ 20G, then later you can come back and use gpt tools to convert the MBR to GPT & create the hybrid, I think. Once that is all done, a simple addition to fstab will mount the rest of your disk where ever you want it.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby war59312 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 pm

The guide really could use an update.

Stuck myself and trying to figure it all out myself.

At least please but a big warning on the guide saying it does NOT work yet with 3TB model.
war59312

Postby moonman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:03 pm

Have you got USB flash drive working?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby war59312 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:16 am

Yes but nothing happened when I connected it to the drive.

At the moment I have taken the drive apart so I can access via my Ubuntu 12.10 Boot cd.

Bummer:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'u')buntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk /dev/sdb1
Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x350733b8.
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
After that, of course, the previous content won't be recoverable.

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)

The device presents a logical sector size that is smaller than
the physical sector size. Aligning to a physical sector (or optimal
I/O) size boundary is recommended, or performance may be impacted.

Command (m for help): o
Building a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x94511668.
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
After that, of course, the previous content won't be recoverable.

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)

The device presents a logical sector size that is smaller than
the physical sector size. Aligning to a physical sector (or optimal
I/O) size boundary is recommended, or performance may be impacted.

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdb1: 20.0 GB, 20012073984 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2432 cylinders, total 39086082 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Alignment offset: 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x94511668

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

Command (m for help): n
Partition type:
p primary (0 primary, 0 extended, 4 free)
e extended
Select (default p): p
Partition number (1-4, default 1): 1
First sector (1-39086081, default 1):
Using default value 1
Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G} (1-39086081, default 39086081): +20G
Value out of range.
war59312

Postby moonman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:04 am

You need to use gdisk, not fdisk. Fdisk only understands drives up to 2TB.
Also, don't specify partition number, you are partitioning the whole drive, not a partition

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'gdisk /dev/sdb')
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood