Ten(ish) steps to set up a dockstar

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Ten(ish) steps to set up a dockstar

Postby me4tux » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:36 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('blurry', 'Y')ou'd think that the author would have kept a copy in his archives to paste in such a case. In this case, he failed to do so and is hereby sentenced to public ridicule. :oops:

But on a serious note, some of the parts were hastily thrown together and it's gotten easier to set up various things than it was when I wrote the guide (especially things like Apache). You will have to click around, but hopefully the main arch linux guides will translate more directly to the Arch Linux ARM install setup.

This little distro has grown up so much... :D

Hello,
The 1st post has the link that is broken, but is there really an updated write-up with step-by-step instructions to hack the Dockstar for the not-so-experienced linux user? I hate to start reading bits of anecdotes from this thread and end up bricking my Dockstar. Thanks for your help!

Quote:
NOTE: The contents of this post have been updated and put into a wiki page here: http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5?title=Ten(ish)_steps_to_setting_up_a_Segate_Dockstar -- please disregard the stuff here as it has changed slightly.
me4tux

Postby kmihelich » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:52 pm

Installing on the dockstar is as simple as following the instructions on the main site. There is nearly zero chance of bricking the device unless you're following other instructions from somewhere else.

The other stuff that was in the guide was general application setup for things like a webserver, which have been moved into the guides section of the main site. As this distro is a derivative of Arch, you can also use their wiki for help in setting up applications.. steps are rarely if ever different.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby unmesh » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:50 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'I')nstalling on the dockstar is as simple as following the instructions on the main site. There is nearly zero chance of bricking the device unless you're following other instructions from somewhere else.

The other stuff that was in the guide was general application setup for things like a webserver, which have been moved into the guides section of the main site. As this distro is a derivative of Arch, you can also use their wiki for help in setting up applications.. steps are rarely if ever different.

A long time ago, I followed the now missing instructions to install Jeff's uboot and the PogoPlug version of the kernel. I was thinking I might install the latest version but am wondering how one does that now.

My recollection is that the previous set up was such that the unit booted up into the Seagate supplied firmware if it did not find a kernel to boot from on a USB drive.

Thanks.
unmesh

Postby unplugged » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:33 pm

Reviving this super old thread, I found this via the Wayback machine, an archive of the original guide from the plu9apps server. The info there is probably a bit outdated now but may help some of you.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'http://web.archive.org/web/20101221162056/http://pluga@pps.com/index.php5?title=Ten%28ish%29_steps_to_setting_up_a_Seagate_Dockstar')

EDIT: Seems that this site automatically replaces "plug@pps" with "arch linux arm", rendering my link dead. So I've replaced the link with a shortened URL: http://goo.gl/qoxJP
unplugged

Previous

Return to Marvell Kirkwood