want leds to change to hard drive activity

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: want leds to change to hard drive activity

Postby Kurlon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:37 pm

There are patches floating around that add an IDE/SATA activity LED Trigger, so instead of heartbeat you can switch the trigger to IDE activity and bam, the kernel does the rest. I'm going to be making a stab at getting this mainlined but you can always roll support into a custom kernel build out of the ALARM pkgsrc easily enough.
Kurlon

Postby bodhi » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:21 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Kurlon', 'T')here are patches floating around that add an IDE/SATA activity LED Trigger, so instead of heartbeat you can switch the trigger to IDE activity and bam, the kernel does the rest. I'm going to be making a stab at getting this mainlined but you can always roll support into a custom kernel build out of the ALARM pkgsrc easily enough.

This would be great to have. Also, would it be feasible to have a patch for network activity LED, too?
bodhi

Postby byteme » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:43 am

Does this do anything besides changing the name of the led devices?
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '[')code]pacman -S uboot-env
fw_setenv arcNumber 3542
fw_setenv machid dd6
reboot[/code]

I used the following for my Seagate GoFlex USB Drive:
create partition separate from root partition:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[root@alarm ~]# mkfs.xfs -l internal,lazy-count=1,size=128m -d agcount=2 /dev/sda2 -f
')
fstab entry:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
/dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2 xfs defaults,noatime,nobarrier 0 0
')
I am getting 28MB/s with xfs and 20MB/s with ext4 when streaming video and copying large files. I am using AFP (netatalk package). With multiple small files it will decrease to about 8MB/s (ext4 gets 15MB/s). xfs works great for large files only. With the nobarrier option, power failure may corrupt files being written to disk. This is not a problem, because files will be available on my desktop computer (with a journaled drive), and I can always restart the transfer after regaining power. You can mount read-only when you are not copying files.
byteme

Previous

Return to Marvell Kirkwood