U-Boot updated. new kernels >=3.2 ?

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

U-Boot updated. new kernels >=3.2 ?

Postby moonman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:59 am

Just found out that U-Boot has been updated by Jeff to fix the >=3.2 kernel not booting problem. Will new kernel versions start to be finally put to repos?
Also, noticed that after installing new U-Boot, the front LED is always orange, even if I set arcNumber to 3542 on my E02
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: U-Boot updated. new kernels >=3.2 ?

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:48 pm

We need to a way to enforce the kernel not being updated without an updated u-boot first.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby moonman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:08 am

I am afraid my level of English doesn't allow me to understand what you just said. :lol: I re-read it multiple times and I swear I don't understand :)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby unclemike » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:20 pm

I think that the problem is: what happens if you upgrade the kernel and uboot remain at old version?
So they must find a method to make sure that uboot is ugraded before upgrade kernel
unclemike

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 pm

And a way to do it per-device, as is correct. Since the install methods differ per-device.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:50 am

We will be relying on people not being retarded, which is a stretch, but it's the simplest solution. The 'linux' package will remain for compatibility purposes frozen at 3.1.10. It works, it's solid, no reason to do anything to it.

In the next couple days we'll be putting out a linux-kirkwood package with 3.4, containing a warning about u-boot compatibility. The package won't replace the linux package. This means it will be a conscious decision by the user to upgrade the kernel, which together with the warning implies they understand what's going on. If they don't, well, they were warned.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby unclemike » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:20 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'A')nd a way to do it per-device, as is correct. Since the install methods differ per-device.

I wouldn't want to be in your shoes :D

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'W')e will be relying on people not being retarded, which is a stretch, but it's the simplest solution. The 'linux' package will remain for compatibility purposes frozen at 3.1.10. It works, it's solid, no reason to do anything to it.

In the next couple days we'll be putting out a linux-kirkwood package with 3.4, containing a warning about u-boot compatibility. The package won't replace the linux package. This means it will be a conscious decision by the user to upgrade the kernel, which together with the warning implies they understand what's going on. If they don't, well, they were warned.

Agree

A question a bit useless now after the last post, it's teorically possibile for an arch package to read the enviroment variable at install time? And block it's installation if the uboot version is lesser or absent?
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Wolfgang Denk', 'W')hen CONFIG_VERSION_VARIABLE is set in your board config file, then
U-Boot will set the "ver" envrionment variable to the current version
ID string. If you run "saveenv" at least once, then you can read this
string from the U-Boot environment under Linux, using the fw_getenv
tool / function provided in tools/env/ .

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

PS: I'm relatively new to programming ( and english :p ) but I'm interested to know how devolopers think, so if you may answer like:
Not possible, because ...
Bad idea, beacase ...
I would really appreciate :) :P
unclemike

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Programatically reading the uboot version from inside a running system = nope.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby cyberic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Maybe it could be possible to pass a variable to linux kernel, ie 'uboot-ver=xxx' and then check this variable during the kernel upgrade?
cyberic

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Then you have the issue of having uboots that are numbers as 1.x.x and 2011-XX, none of which necessarily tell us anything useful.

Seperating the problem and making it a concious effort to change over solves this altogether, like leming said.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood