[How-To] install my.pogoplug.com service on any armv5 device

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: [How-To] install my.pogoplug.com service on any armv5 de

Postby shv » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:15 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('grayman4hire', 'A')m I missing something? Are we not talking about two different pieces of hardware from two different companies (with two different business models)? Does the GoFlex natively support my.pogoplug.com service?

The Seagate Goflex Net devices natively support my.pogoplug.com service like the Pogoplug devices.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'A')re there Pogoplug models that support samba out of the box (configurable via the web interface)?

No just the Seagate Goflex Net and possibly Home devices support samba out of the box.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'P')ogoplug could easily add built in SAMBA support if they wanted to. However, IMHO, their business model is about making money off their subscription based cloud storage services and the hardware is just a means for them to get you in the door. Versus Seagate which is a storage company primarily, and they want to sell you more (local) storage.

Samba is better for local access. It can be used with any local devices which support this protocol out of the box like mediaplayers. For Internet access Seagate uses my.pogoplug.com as well as any Pogoplug device. To activate the Samba protocol the user must access my.pogoplug.com service. Therefore it is the same to get the user into the door.
Debian @ Pogoplug Pro (actively used)
Debian @ Pogoplug E02
shv

Postby grayman4hire » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:38 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('shv', '
')The Seagate Goflex Net devices natively support my.pogoplug.com service like the Pogoplug devices.

Interesting...

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('shv', '
')Samba is better for local access. It can be used with any local devices which support this protocol out of the box like mediaplayers. For Internet access Seagate uses my.pogoplug.com as well as any Pogoplug device. To activate the Samba protocol the user must access my.pogoplug.com service. Therefore it is the same to get the user into the door.

Yes, I understand samba is better for local access. What I meant was Pogoplug as a company has no interest in making local access easier (samba), whereas Seagate does, to sell you more hard drives. On Seagate devices it was probably part of the agreement/partnership to have samba as a feature. It clearly could have been done on Pogoplug hardware, but again, it would be against their own interest to sell you cloud storage.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'B')ecause it is not the copy that is from the GFN. That is why.

It's as what WarheadsSE stated. The package would need to be based on the Seagate Goflex Net version. However, I don't think it would be worth anyone's time to do this considering how simple it is to install SAMBA as is.

However, at some point I assume this package will need to be updated.
ALARM on PogoPlug Tutorial - SAMBA, AirPlay, SqueezeLite, Logitech Media Server, AirPrint/CloudPrint, Plex, Webmin, OpenVPN, Transmission, Sabnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato, BitTorrent Sync, OwnCloud - Pogoplug E02 Serial Connection
grayman4hire

Postby moonman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:24 am

The package consists of what comes with pogoplugs, not seagates. I see no reason to have an outdated samba daemon included while one can always install an up to date version from the repo. Just my personal opinion.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby grayman4hire » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:10 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'T')he package consists of what comes with pogoplugs, not seagates. I see no reason to have an outdated samba daemon included while one can always install an up to date version from the repo. Just my personal opinion.

Another good point.
grayman4hire

Postby reyemtm » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:54 pm

had this working with the previous instructions...had to reinstall for other reasons and new instructions led to the pogoplug.com webpage doing something to the pogoplug device shutting the arch system down, doing some sort of update.

i did re-register the device, that's when it force shut down or corrupted arch...any ideas? it didnt corrupt it at first, onyl when i unregistered then re-registered trying to get the folders to show up did it corrupt it

i re-installed arch again and all is good but did not try to get pogoplug service back via pg1 instructions
reyemtm

Postby moonman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:26 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('reyemtm', 'h')ad this working with the previous instructions...had to reinstall for other reasons and new instructions led to the pogoplug.com webpage doing something to the pogoplug device shutting the arch system down, doing some sort of update.

i did re-register the device, that's when it force shut down or corrupted arch...any ideas? it didnt corrupt it at first, onyl when i unregistered then re-registered trying to get the folders to show up did it corrupt it

i re-installed arch again and all is good but did not try to get pogoplug service back via pg1 instructions

Although the package does block the updates from pogoplug.com, I would check /etc/hosts to make sure. It should have an entry at the bottom: 127.0.0.1 upgrade.pogoplug.com. I can't think of anything else that would cause this.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Thumbnail issues

Postby cannondale0815 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi! First off, this is a fantastic tutorial, and I love how it can now be installed using pacman. I've been using this solution for a few weeks now and it works great.

A few days ago I ran into a snag where all thumbnails of all photos were missing. I tried turning thumbnail generation off and back on again in the web interface to no avail. I then resorted to removing the .cedata folder and having the plug re-create it upon restarting the pogoplug service, but still no go -- even though it was churning all night on rescanning the drive, no thumbnails are visible in the web interface.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced and subsequently found a solution for this.

Thanks!
-J

P.S.: I want to add that thumbnails for pictures were there initially, but then stopped working.
P.P.S: I also just tried the "rename" trick for the folder, but that didn't regenerate the thumbnails either

EDIT: Looking into this in more detail, it seems that only files uploaded with the Pogoplug mobile app get a thumbnail. All files manually copied over do not result in a thumbnail being generated for them. That's pretty odd...
cannondale0815

Postby alokasi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:55 am

I've managed to get Arch running with a SATA drive in the top slot without replacing the uBoot bootloader. Before I did this I copied the entire /usr/local/cloudengines directory to the arch SATA drive under the same file path. I did this because, since I didn't replace the uBoot boot loader, I still wanted access to the blparam command to allow me to go back to stock Pogoplug software and optware. I also wanted access to the chkntfs program so I don't have to connect my drive to windows to error check it.

Running the blparam command lists the boot loader environment variables, one of which is cesvcid. Using this value as svcid in hbplug.conf my pogoplug gets recognized as its originally registered self - no re-registration required. I then added the 'nohotplug=1' and my 'vfsdirX=name,share' lines.

Redirecting upgrade.pogoplug.com and adding these files from pg 1: /usr/local/cloudengines/pogoplug.sh and /etc/systemd/system/pogoplug.service (steps 9-12) and then issuing a 'systemctl start pogoplug' and bingo, pogoplug shows up at mypogoplug.com.

The benefit of this procedure is that I can easily boot back to stock Pogoplug software for updates without screwing up Arch.

I can share my hack scripts to boot back and forth from stock Pogoplug and Archlinux if anyone likes, but they are hacks and if something doesn't go right you'll need a serial console. I initially tried to build in error recovery to boot from flash in the event that the SATA drive is not there, but the "if" statements that I tried all either gave false or true every time. This is a known bug I think.

I'd love to know if anyone figures out a conditional that works to test for that drive with the stock uBoot. I have serial console access to test them.
alokasi

Postby moonman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:34 am

@alokasi you've eseentially done what the package does except for obtaining the certificates. svcid should be on the label at the bottom of the device so no need for blparm (which is in the repos in pogoplug-blparam package). ntfsck is part of ntfs-3g package and is a newer version than what comes with the pogoplug.
moonman
Developer

Postby alokasi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:10 pm

@moonman - Thanks for that info. My main experience with linux was years ago when support for NTFS was really poor so I didn't realize that there was a check program for NTFS now.
alokasi

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood