[Dockstar] Mount original Pogoplug filesystem (PPFS)

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

[Dockstar] Mount original Pogoplug filesystem (PPFS)

Postby sambul13 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:20 pm

The guides on switching bootloader from original Pogoplug's to UBoot claim it's still possible booting the original Pogo after detaching the ArchLinux USB Thumb. In my case it keeps blinking, possibly due to the same reason as described in Flashing amber light of doom, and doesn't allow to login. I remember changing DHCP to Static IP on original Pogo system, so may be it caused the error. To fix, I need to mount original Pogoplug file system (PPFS) in ArchLinux ARM on Dockstar. But - mount command gives the error: unrecognized filesystem.

In the thread Pogoplug Filesystem (PPFS) on Linux user Alik Elzin posted an install script allowing to mount original Pogoplug FS in Linux using pogoplugfs filesystem Linux driver, which can be downloaded from Pogoplug site. Also, in the blog Installing Pogoplug Software On Ubuntu 10.10 Server the author suggests to add pogoplugfs file to your home dir, and then run the command in terminal to mount Pogoplug filesystem with fuse:

./pogoplugfs –user [your e-mail address used when registering the Pogoplug] –password [your Pogoplug account password] –mountpoint /media/pogoplug/

Can someone check if adjusting pogoplugfs is needed to run on ArchLinux ARM, and possibly make install script and add it to the ARM repository? Some sources are posted on Pogoplug Open Source page. Everyone interested in restoring or temp switching to original Pogo functionality would appreciate this. No Serial Cable is needed, edit the Pogo filesystem instead! :o
Last edited by sambul13 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
sambul13

Re: [Dockstar] Mount original Pogoplug filesystem (PPFS)

Postby sambul13 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:58 pm

I wonder if ArchLinux ARM can be trimmed to fit into Dockstar 500Gb NAND drive occupied by Pogo Linux now? That would eliminate the need in a separate thumb drive. ;)
sambul13

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:21 am

You may, we will not directly support that however.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:26 am

I wonder what's wrong with adding pogoplugfs install? There are plenty apps in the repository, and this one would allow to at least access 500Mb drive that now remains unused forever. :)
sambul13

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:31 am

It's possible to form a RO nand rootfs. We will not directly support that at this time.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby ebbix » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:53 pm

As far as I understand (can't check it since I can't find sources on opensource page), pogoplugfs will mount filesystem using networking and original pogoplug software, so you won't have direct access to the partition's filesystem.
ebbix

Postby sambul13 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:55 pm

It appears, the thread and blog I referred to above both say the Pogo filesytem will be mounted locally, not via Pogoplug website. The installer from that thread basically downloads and installs pogoplugfs tarball from Pogo Downloads site. Are you saying Pogoplug Series 4 XCE Linux Kernel Support Driver on the Sources site provides only remote access FS via Pogoplug website? It may be, then we may try asking Pogo for pogoplugfs source. :lol:

I wonder if pogoplugfs source is also stored on NAND in the Pogo? I can't check it without SSH access... :?
sambul13

Postby ebbix » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:29 pm

I looked into XCE Linux Kernel Support Driver, but this won't mount anything. As the name implies, it is a kernel DRIVER while pogoplugfs uses FUSE to mount pogoplug filesystem. (FUSE = Filesystem USErspace, i.e. no kernel driver is needed to mount additional filesystems because FUSE driver handles kernel calls)
XCE seems to be some special kernel module needed by pogoplug software handling leds and other stuff.
So unfortunately, no source code for pogoplugfs is available.

Inspired by your idea, I tried to mount the filesystem (/dev/mtd3), but I wasn't able to mount it (no ubifs on it?), so I just wiped it on my Goflex and created a nice partition on it. I'm using a small rc.d script to mount it at boot time (Yes, mounting operations are not daemons, but I think that's a nice way to easily mount and unmount it without remembering the exact commands :lol: )
I don't know what to put onto it yet, I don't like the idea of read-only rootfs and I don't want to kill my NAND...
ebbix

Postby sambul13 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Well, just in case you want to use Pogo services or put it back, there are threads How to install Pogoplug software on V2 Plug and How to install Pogoplug software on ANY armv5 with ALARM, and other similar threads and guides on restoring the original Pogo system.

As to using the NAND for something interesting, I wonder if Sheevaplug Multiboot system can fit into it and run OK as they seems to use the same ARM5 architecture, or similar multiboot approach used with the original Pogo system installed back in NAND? You might be the first to test multiboot on Pogo - by choosing to boot anytime from NAND or your Thumb, possibly without ever removing the Thumb. :twisted:
sambul13

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:31 pm

sambul13, please understand how uboot works. It's fairly easy to switch back and forth, if you know what you are doing. However, you need to understand the implications of modifying these behaviors and be prepared to fix it when you break it.

This isn't grub/lilo/syslinux. I am not saying that it is not possible, but you need to understand it. Not simply "sorta kinda read it a bit" understanding either.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood