[SOLVED] Pogoplug USB audio and Shairport

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: [SOLVED] Pogoplug USB audio and Shairport

Postby etunnel » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:06 am

Thanks a lot for your replies. Now, I can rest in peace and don't brick my beautifully working system.

I'll get a mainstream processor system for USB audio.
etunnel

Postby hdan42 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:28 am

I've been trying to get shairport running on a Pogoplug v2. I've got the latest build of al-arm running (3.1.10-16-ARCH). I've got audio working on my usb sound card (mpg123 seems to run ok). I've made the changes to libao.conf and built and installed v 1.0-dev of the shairport. Shairport seems to works for a few minutes, but then the audio cuts out and I can only get the audio to resume by restarting the pogoplug. Is anyone else having similar issues? Does anyone have an idea how to go about fixing the problem?
hdan42

Postby grayman4hire » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:53 am

I been playing (not really using) with shairport for a while now on multiple platforms and have not experience that issue before - it either works or doesn't or is static-key (sp?).

I don't think the new 1.0-dev branch have verbose logging. At the very least you should run it in non-daemon mode to see if you see any hint of the issue.

I haven't tested the 1.0-dev branch much (except to verify it works and play a song or two), but I know this old build works well - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/422 ... /shairport

Give it a try and report back.

How long does it actually works for before stopping? What if you kill shairport and start it again? What usb sound adapter are you using? Can I assume you've seen my tutorial?
Last edited by grayman4hire on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
grayman4hire

Postby moonman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:54 am

Get your system up to date and see if that helps. (pacman -Suy). Also, if you JUST installed al-arm then you should have the latest U-Boot and can use the latest kernel (pacman -Sy linux-kirkwood linux-kirkwood-headers)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby hdan42 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:22 pm

@grayman4hire
Yeah I saw your blog. (Thanks for putting all of that in one place, by the way.) I actually started with the build you had listed on your blog (which i assume is the same that you just linked). I had the same issue with both your build and my 1.0-dev build.

FYI, I'm using this sound stick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829128002
which has the C-Media CM108 chipset.

I did some more careful testing and found that I was only having trouble with my iphone (ios6.1.2) and with airfoil. Itunes seemed to play just fine.

Per moomman's suggestion I updated the system and moved to the new kernel (note: i think the kernel headers listed in the AL-ARM repo are actually called "linux-headers-kirkwood"). This seems to have fixed the issue with ios. I was able to listen to about an hour of audio and didn't have any issues.

Unfortunately, airfoil is still not working. Airfoil sees the plug, but when I try to connect shairport throws this error:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Segmentation fault (core dumped)')
Then it crashes. When I try to run it again (without rebooting) I get:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'could not bind a listen socket: Address already in use
could not bind a listen socket: Address already in use
FATAL: could not bind any listen sockets!')
I think that during the crash it's not releasing control of the port and therefore when it starts again, can't open it as usual.
I know that airfoil works with shairport4w, so it could be that there's some issue with avahi (as opposed to bonjour, which would be used by windows). It could also just be something that's different between those two forks of the shairport library.
hdan42

Postby grayman4hire » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 pm

So it sounds like your issue is with airfoil now. Sorry, I can't help since I don't use airfoil. You might want to post your issue in github instead.

BTW, the build I posted (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/422 ... /shairport) is from the master branch from Nov/Dec 2012 timeframe.
grayman4hire

Postby grayman4hire » Mon May 06, 2013 4:38 pm

fyi - I was wrong. The dev-1.0 branch does have debugging - "-vvv"

Just checking in to see if you managed to resolve your issue.
grayman4hire

Postby hdan42 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:27 pm

No resolution as of yet...although I haven't looked that hard. Now that ios and itunes are working I have a lot less motivation for fixing airfoil. Thanks for all the help! If I come across something I will definitely post it.
hdan42

Postby grayman4hire » Mon May 13, 2013 4:01 pm

@hdan42,

Someone following my tutorial ran into the same issue with Airfoil and managed to get it working by using a older build of Shairport.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'cd /tmp
wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/albertz/shairport/tarball/f2b52ea9db1723c9c53f5df8da4de7ce90d3129f
tar xzf master #update appropriately
cd shairport #update appropriately
make
make install')

I actually linked to this pre-compiled version a few post up - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/422 ... /shairport

BTW, I got a copy of Airfoil so hopefully we'll get it resolved in the latest 1.0-dev build.
grayman4hire

Previous

Return to Marvell Kirkwood