Setting Up GoFlex Net

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Setting Up GoFlex Net

Postby sambul13 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks. Cleaned up the Dockstar thumb after booting from it on Dockstar. What copy method is better for replicating Plug thumbs? If using Grsync in a Linux VM, what set of its options to choose? Will use DD instead... :P
Last edited by sambul13 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sambul13

Postby sambul13 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:00 pm

While changing some Uboot env params (namely trying to boot from USB thumb when SATA disk without rootfs is present), stumpled upon earlier or later expected outcome... The thing is no longer accessible via SSH or netconsole, while seemingly booting OK, but can't get IP. I guess, its time to try Serial cable, since no Rescue system was installed - or what? A few questions:

- some approaches to boot from USB while SATA HD is also hooked are given here. Which one works, or any different suggestions & links?

- if an unrelated to boot command (like netconsole env) gets broken, will Uboot ignore it or hang anyway?

- for flashing Uboot with serial cable to GoFlex Net NAND, will this Dockstar guide do, or there are some important differences? Its hard to find instructions devoted to GFN.

- Do the mtd0 offsets match for Dockstar and GFN?
sambul13

Postby moonman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:07 pm

If you are using the new uboot offsets should be the same. Mine boots fine with USB and sata in the drive. Did you use the environment variables I provided in the guide for boting from usb?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:30 pm

I run this thing, and it was the end of show (also there was an error in netconsole params which shouldn't affect):

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'fw_setenv usb_bootcmd 'run usb_init; setenv usb_root LABEL=rootfs; run usb_set_bootargs; run usb_boot'')

What guide? Your guides may benefit from been placed in Guides section. Since there are many similar named threads, most from novices with little substance.

EDIT: found again [How-To] update DStar/PP/GFlex to new uBoot for kernel>3.2 Unfortunately, a bit late. :)

Where to download current and original Uboot .kwb files for GFN?
sambul13

Postby moonman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:37 am

I'd place them in the guides forum but they are only related to armv5 devices and are not general so i decided to leave them here. If only mods made them sticky...
I've got no clue where to get the original ones as I never tried to revert. I believe you need to remove label as it won't work. You need to modify a lot more than just add LABEL=, I beleive the correct syntax is root=LABEL=<your label>, root is buried in uboot environment. For usb, the uboot usb script is executed that searches for a drive with rootfs so label has no effect.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Well, as discussed in GoFlex Net: Boot from USB while SATA disks connected, both SATA and USB drive may have rootfs under different volume labels, but there is more... While Uboot assigns /dev/sda1 to USB thumb as instructed, kernel in most cases discovers SATA drive earlier than USB and assigns /dev/sda1 to it. Then you have boot problem if rootfs is absent on SATA. To resolve, it was suggested in several threads on doozan's forum by devs to add the thumb's rootfs LABEL to Uboot env, which then handed over to kernel indicating which device to boot from.

Did you try their env var code, and it didn't work? I tried, but may have a different error in env. Reports on doozan's forum say it works when entered as in that thread, but I can't confirm that so far. :oops:

You have posted several useful guides, some of them in a form of post in others' threads. They are almost inaccessible now due to many threads with similar titles exist. Consolidate and move them to Guides section, since they were written for users anyway, and don't rich the audience now. There titles can narrow subject matter to certain devices, and Guides section doesn't require content be universally applicable to any current and future device. :D You may ask to move select threads back to device section, once obsolete. I would ask kurlon to consider doing the same. Any guide becomes obsolete over time, it should not prevent it from being most accessible at pick time.
sambul13

Postby sambul13 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:50 am

moonman

I fixed GFN via serial and tested LABEL command from the above linked doozan's thread, and it doesn't work in ArcLinux, since it requires LABEL value being hardcoded into ulnitrd, which is not used by ArcLinux boot, while used by Debian. Your env scope from the How-to Guide was already set in Uboot, but it doesn't block GFN from hanging, when SATA (no rootfs) and USB (with rootfs) drives are both connected, because Uboot efforts aren't matched by kernel's. The solution is not in the air right now, since there is no way to hand over rootfs LABEL to kernel or use another effective approach, unless I thoroughly missed something. :D

Hope you have GFN and can test it as I did before claiming opposite. Btw, if you add fw_setenv usb_bootcmd to your How-to examples, it would be more complete. :o
sambul13

Postby moonman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:57 am

If you read carefully, the command is there. I know that you need to edit initrd to get label to work. Also setting usb_root=label=<label> is not the correct approach as usb_root is a variable and. usb_root, when dereferenced is /dev/sda1 and this is what you've been trying to avoid all along as "label" is meant to set your rootfs to whatever sdX rootfs is on. On top of that, arhclinuxarm kernel is not setup to use label instruction AFAIK. That's why UBIT was (is) there as a workaround but it doesn't support kernels >=3.2.
moonman
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:36 am

The usb_bootcmd command is only referred to in your How-to in another command, but not defined, which makes it unclear what its scope is, especially in view of possibly defining LABEL within its scope as done in Debian.

In fact, booting GFN from a USB thumb instead of SATA is the most rational approach, since SATA drives in most real life usage scenarios are media depositories that are manually switched off with their multiplier enclosure, or stop spinning & go to Sleep mode when not in use. Not sure, if this "non-booting from USB when SATA is hooked to GFN" issue should be reported as a bug to ArcLinux or Linux devs upstream, but it needs to be resolved (for example by adding to kernel the ability to accept LABEL from Uboot), since number of multiplier enclosures and multiple SATA drives used as media DBs grows exponentially.

I wonder, if its resolved in original GFN firmware and how, since didn't check it before switching to Jeff's Uboot? In ArchLinux right now the only approach is to switch the SATA enclosure off, when rebooting GFN from USB. Once booted, it works with SATA in any mode, including hotplug. Of course, one can boot from SATA instead, but it will need to be on all the time.
sambul13

Postby bodhi » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:20 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sambul13', '
')Not sure, if this "non-booting from USB when SATA is hooked to GFN" issue should be reported as a bug to ArcLinux or Linux devs upstream

I've responded to your question here:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,9398,10416#msg-10416
bodhi

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood