Setting Up GoFlex Net

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Setting Up GoFlex Net

Postby Kurlon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:55 pm

From my uboot env:

usb_args_0=boot_dev='usb 0:1'; dev_args='root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10'
usb_args_1=boot_dev='usb 1:1'; dev_args='root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10'
usb_args_2=boot_dev='usb 2:1'; dev_args='root=/dev/sdc1 rootdelay=10'
usb_args_3=boot_dev='usb 3:1'; dev_args='root=/dev/sdd1 rootdelay=10'

Note, if I load off usb 1:1 or 0:1, I set root as sda1. I have to do this as my usb dock detects as a mass storage device to uboot, but (properly) as a Displaylink video adapter to the kernel so it doesn't get allocated a mass storage entry. If using the ALARM provided uboot setup, THAT is where you need to change the device to match what your kernel will see. When I'm booting with my SATA drive in place but booting USB first, those entries get changed to /dev/sdb1. If your uboot env is setup differently, you'll have to adjust yours as needed.

You're playing with an embedded device that was never meant to have the end user mucking with the OS. There are annoying limitations as a result. This will never be as purty as Ubuntu + grub with a graphical menu and hand holds at every step. The provided setup works predictably and reliably which is the goal, if you want it to work differently that's AWESOME, do it up. Don't however complain that the current setup is busted because it's not, it's working 100% as intended. Once you stop screaming 'BUG!' at everything that either doesn't work the way you want, or don't understand, you'll find more people will be willing to help you out.
Kurlon

Postby sambul13 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:03 pm

If the intention was to hang the device, when both USB and SATA are present, it indeed does. :)

Here's relevant portion of my Uboot env:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'usb_boot=mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
usb_custom_params=loglevel=7 netconsole=6666@192.168.0.19/eth0,6666@192.168.0.15/
usb_device=0:1
usb_init=run usb_scan
usb_root=/dev/sda1
usb_rootdelay=10
usb_rootfstype=ext2
usb_scan=usb_scan_done=0;for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan; if test $usb_scan_done -eq 0 && ext2load usb $usb 0x800000 /boot/uImage 1; then usb_scan_done=1; echo "Found bootable drive on usb $usb"; setenv usb_device $usb; setenv usb_root /dev/$dev; fi; done
usb_scan_1=usb=0:1 dev=sda1
usb_scan_2=usb=1:1 dev=sdb1
usb_scan_3=usb=2:1 dev=sdc1
usb_scan_4=usb=3:1 dev=sdd1
usb_scan_list=1 2 3 4
usb_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts $usb_custom_params
usb_bootcmd=run usb_init; run usb_set_bootargs; run usb_boot
bootdelay=5')

How do you suggest to change it, if I stop screaming "BUG" ? :mrgreen: Or may be I can rephrase: what Uboot param ArchLinux can understand enough to boot from USB when SATA is present?
Last edited by sambul13 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
sambul13

Postby Kurlon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:12 pm

Look at what your uboot is doing:

usb_scan=usb_scan_done=0;for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan; if test $usb_scan_done -eq 0 && ext2load usb $usb 0x800000 /boot/uImage 1; then usb_scan_done=1; echo "Found bootable drive on usb $usb"; setenv usb_device $usb; setenv usb_root /dev/$dev; fi; done

So, for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan is going to iterate through the usb_scan_1, usb_scan_2, etc. The values from usb_scan_blah are then shoved into the next part, the if test section. Those values percolate through to the last setenv if ext2load successfully loads a kernel.

Net result, the only reason there is a usb_root=/dev/sda1 line is to establish that the var exists, and what it should look like. You can change that line all you want and nothing will happen as usb_root gets overwritten later on. It's the four usb_scan_blah lines that you need to update as THOSE determine what usb_root will be set to.

usb_scan_1=usb=0:1 dev=sda1
usb_scan_2=usb=1:1 dev=sdb1
usb_scan_3=usb=2:1 dev=sdc1
usb_scan_4=usb=3:1 dev=sdd1

Update those.
Kurlon

Postby moonman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:23 pm

sambul13 I think you need to grow up. Kurlon I don't know why you are helping this guy.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Kurlon

That's were I have a problem, since it doesn't sound like a viable solution at the moment. Suppose, a user disconnected SATA drive a month later or it gets broken, while no Netconsole was setup beforehand by the inexperienced user. What he will end up with is unbootable system, since kernel will assign /dev/sda1 to USB Thumb - correct?

moonman

I already told you once, stay away from attempting to characterize people rather then solutions. Once applied to you, you will fully understand its prohibited on every forum for a good reason. I didn't so far - feel the difference? Btw, its interesting, in one place you say your Tut works the same for GFN, in another - you don't have GFN to test. :lol:
Last edited by sambul13 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
sambul13

Postby Kurlon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:31 pm

That's why the stock setup is done the way it is, if all else fails, stick a thumb drive in and nothing else. If your setup demands something different, you're free to set it up that way, BUT you also have to accept the potential risks as you noted.
Kurlon

Postby sambul13 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks, I'll accept the risk and try your suggestion shortly. :)
sambul13

Postby moonman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:40 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sambul13', 'I') already told you once, stay away from attempting to characterize people rather then solutions. Once applied to you, you will fully understand its prohibited on every forum for a good reason. I didn't so far - feel the difference? Btw, its interesting, in one place you say your Tut works the same for GFN, in another - you don't have GFN to test. :lol:

All I am saying is that you need to be more respectful because acting like a 14 year old will get you nowhere. I don't have GFN but it does act the same from what people have reported aside from the fact that one of the satas' doesn't work for booting.
Last edited by moonman on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Pls provide links here, where people reported what you claim they reported, namely your Tut allows to boot GFN from USB when SATA is hooked on. :) And be more respectful yourself before asking same from others.

Issues with selecting the drive to boot from have been frequently reported on this forum, so this is not my personal problem like you try to twist it, and it was never addressed constructively.
Last edited by sambul13 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sambul13

Postby moonman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:49 pm

Did I say people reported this particular feature working? I said it worked for me on my GFH. I don't think I've ever been disrespectful to anyone. I see you like to argue. You can go on but I am going to stop here :geek:
moonman
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood