Installation Help

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Installation Help

Postby begunfx » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:31 am

Okay, I checked the symlink. I didn't have it linked, so after linking it I ran:

sudo php ./runme.php mmc

again, and got the following error this time:

**** Burning uboot and environment variables ... This will take few minutes ...
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.4.0 (2010-10-08-15:42)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.berlios.de/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
2000 kHz
trst_and_srst separate srst_gates_jtag trst_push_pull srst_open_drain
jtag_nsrst_delay: 200
jtag_ntrst_delay: 200
dcc downloads are enabled
Error: No valid NAND flash driver found (0)
Available NAND flash controller drivers:
nonce
davinci
lpc3180
orion
s3c2410
s3c2412
s3c2440
s3c2443
s3c6400
imx31
at91sam9
Error: unable to open ftdi device: device not found
Command handler execution failed
**** openocd FAILED
**** Is the mini USB cable connected?
**** Try powering down, then replugging the Sheevaplug

It reads the latest openocd version, but still spits out some errors. :(
begunfx

Postby eblack » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:04 pm

From my first message in this thread:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('eblack', 'T')o get OpenOCD working, I copied the sheevaplug.cfg from my host's OpenOCD (/usr/share/openocd/scripts/board/sheevaplug.cfg) to overwrite the corresponding file in the SheevaPlug Installer (*installer_root_directory*/uboot/openocd/config/board/sheevaplug.cfg). If this file does not exist on your system, you can get it here - http://pastebin.com/pXd5ApC5

The installer may still display error messages after doing this, as I explained in my first message in this thread, but this ought to work.
eblack

Postby begunfx » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:45 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('eblack', 'F')rom my first message in this thread:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('eblack', 'T')o get OpenOCD working, I copied the sheevaplug.cfg from my host's OpenOCD (/usr/share/openocd/scripts/board/sheevaplug.cfg) to overwrite the corresponding file in the SheevaPlug Installer (*installer_root_directory*/uboot/openocd/config/board/sheevaplug.cfg). If this file does not exist on your system, you can get it here - http://pastebin.com/pXd5ApC5

The installer may still display error messages after doing this, as I explained in my first message in this thread, but this ought to work.

Hey eblack,
okay, so I have good news and bad news (more good than bad). I copied the sheevaplug.cfg file as you suggested (I had done it once before in a test, but had copied back the original). It finally works. However (here's the bad part), I wanted to install Arch Linux ARM to my SD card, but when I ran the runme.php command, the plug barfed when it was trying to create one of the partitions on the SD card. I don't have the error message cause it was late and I wanted to get to bed, but it says something like it couldn't find /dev/mmcblk0p2 or something like that. So, I re-ran the runme.php command but this time had it install to nand (command used: sudo php ./runme.php nand) and it worked. I actually didn't get any errors like you had, but it installed. So, my way around the not being able to install to the SD card is to follow the following directions and I think that will get it to work: http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/SD_Card_As_Root_File_System. Kind of a pain/extra step, but I think it should work. I'll update after I get it going.

Thanks for your help and patience. I'm a bit on the newer side to working with these plugs and linux.

Here's a recap of what I did:

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 virtually on my mac osx snow leopard.
I first followed the following to upgrade Uboot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIcTWya7TQA

I followed the Arch Linux ARM tutorial to prepare a USB Stick with the pluggapps package and the latest kernel files.

I modifed the runme.php file as you suggested earlier, which fixed the OS errors reported.

Since I was getting errors (openocd) I followed the trouble shooting section of this page:
http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/SheevaPlug_Installer#Troubleshooting

I had to install on my virtual Ubuntu 10.10:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo apt-get install libftdi1')
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo apt-get install openocd')

I did the following (these instructions are also at the troubleshooting link above):
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'c')d path/to/sheevaplug-installer-v1.0/uboot/openocd/

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'm')v openocd openocd32

(to find the location of your installed openocd file do the following command:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'which openocd')
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'l')n -sf ../../../path/to/openocd-0.2.0/src/openocd openocd

Then I followed eblack's post on copying the sheevaplug.cfg file to the installer directory.

As mentioned above the only snag is that when I ran the runme.php mmc the plug didn't like trying to install to an SD card, so running to nand (internal flash) worked.

I hope this helps others who run into the same issues.
begunfx

Postby eblack » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:20 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('begunfx', 'T')hanks for your help and patience. I'm a bit on the newer side to working with these plugs and linux.

I am glad that my advice helped you, begunfx. I have several years of Linux experience, but even I needed 12-15 hours the first time I tried to install Arch Linux ARM install on my SheevaPlug. :D If you are wanting to improve your Linux skills, you may want to experiment with installing Arch Linux in your virtual machine. Since Arch Linux ARM install is a variant of Arch, much of what you learn on Arch can also apply to your Arch Linux ARM install installation.

If you are wanting to install to an SD card, you could adapt this Debian Lenny SheevaPlug howto, substituting the Arch Linux ARM install Linux tar ball for the Lenny tar ball. I used this to install Arch Linux ARM install on my USB hard drive. As long as the first partition (/boot) is formatted as ext2, the root partition can be whatever file system you prefer. You can safely ignore the GPG instructions.
eblack

Postby begunfx » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:09 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('eblack', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('begunfx', 'T')hanks for your help and patience. I'm a bit on the newer side to working with these plugs and linux.

I am glad that my advice helped you, begunfx. I have several years of Linux experience, but even I needed 12-15 hours the first time I tried to install Arch Linux ARM install on my SheevaPlug. :D If you are wanting to improve your Linux skills, you may want to experiment with installing Arch Linux in your virtual machine. Since Arch Linux ARM install is a variant of Arch, much of what you learn on Arch can also apply to your Arch Linux ARM install installation.

If you are wanting to install to an SD card, you could adapt this Debian Lenny SheevaPlug howto, substituting the Arch Linux ARM install Linux tar ball for the Lenny tar ball. I used this to install Arch Linux ARM install on my USB hard drive. As long as the first partition (/boot) is formatted as ext2, the root partition can be whatever file system you prefer. You can safely ignore the GPG instructions.

Heya eblack,
thanks for the suggestions. That's a good idea, I may install arch linux as a virtual machine to play with. As for installing from an SD Card. I started to look at both the SD card wiki at plugcomputers.org and the debian/kirkwood tutorial you pointed me to. However, before I got too far, I thought I'd check out the forums, both here and ad plugcomuters.org to see if someone else had the same install to MMC error when running the runme.php command. Sure enough I found the following thread:
http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1243.0. Someone said there that if you try to run the command again after it fails it will run successfully. So, I thought I'd give it another try. This time success. I ran the command:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo php ./runme.php mmc')
I had a putty terminal up to watch the plugs progress.
the first time it ran it failed just like before. Then I simply re-executed the command (without doing anything else). This time it worked. Not sure why, but it did.

Just wanted to share this new tidbit.

Now I'm running Arch Linux ARM from my SD card :)
begunfx

Previous

Return to Marvell Kirkwood