no serial, no network, bricked? led flashes...

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

no serial, no network, bricked? led flashes...

Postby drinkypoo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Led flashes green for a while, then flashes orange forever. I hooked a CA-42 cable up to the header with no love. (I figured out which was 3.3V and which was ground by volts and ohms to shield respectively, then tried the other two wires both ways without success.) Do I need to JTAG? I have an interface here someplace.
drinkypoo

Re: no serial, no network, bricked? led flashes...

Postby peaslaker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 pm

if you have led flashes, you have u-boot loading and running. You need to go back to your serial connection and try again.
peaslaker

Postby drinkypoo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:50 am

Well, I never did get serial working, but the machine did boot up all the way. Does it not boot when the network cable is not plugged in before boot begins? That might have been the problem last time I tried to boot it? That's the only thing I've changed.
drinkypoo

Postby ndg » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:25 pm

I also had Problems attaching to the Serial. What helped was opening the USB-plug of the cable and checking th labeles. My DKU-5 hat red:gnd; green:TX;black:RX.

At my dockstar apparently the rootfs is brocken, any recommendatins how to fix?
ndg

Postby enki » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 am

I bougth a a GoFlex Net recently. I activated on pogoplug service and then tried to swap to Arch Linux ARM install Linux. I have a little bit Linux experience.

After I followed instructions from http://www.Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5?titl ... ug_Setboot

and after reboot I have the following behaviour:

1. just ethernet cable to a router and nothing attached to goflex net - green led

blinking for 5secs. and amber after indefinite

2. point 1 plus usb flash into goflex net usb port and powered up again - green led blinking for 20sec. and then nothing; during 20secs. it seams to read from usb memory, led from usb memory, is blinking and then solid; the led from goflex is turned off after these 20 secs.

No ssh, no ip assined to goflex net from the router, no netconsole working to 10.10.10.4 or 5 on port 6666, nothing to comunicate with the unit.

For netconsole I have tried the following scenarios:
- laptop to goflex net directly with the ethernet cable; laptop's ip in 10.10.10.x range; no luck;

- laptop to goflex net trough router; laptop's ip in 192.168.1.x range given by router's DHCP; no luck;

Any help to fix my goflex much apreciated,

Enki
enki

Postby peaslaker » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:11 pm

The netconsole on 10.10.10.5 is a feature of the UBIT install method which was marked in the wiki as "advanced users only" a few versions ago by one of the Arch Linux ARM install team before I sorted out the documentation.

You have more limited recovery options (and less documentation) for the standard (stable) install so instead you need to backtrack on your actions to find out exactly what changes have been made.

If there is no IP assigned by the router, then it isn't getting past the U-Boot stage. If the script completed it should be close to being a working system. Most likely the problem is with whatever plug-in medium you are using to contain the Arch Linux ARM install root filesystem. If in doubt try another plug-in disk.

Are you using a USB disk or a SATA disk? The standard Arch Linux ARM install kernel doesn't support booting from SATA disks, whereas the UBIT kernel does. Try unzipping the system onto a USB drive and boot with just that USB drive attached.

If you get it back to some working status, you might like to fully investigate the UBIT install as it is very thoroughly tested on the GoFlex Net platform and gives lots of recovery options.
peaslaker

Postby enki » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:15 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('peaslaker', '
')
Are you using a USB disk or a SATA disk? The standard Arch Linux ARM install kernel doesn't support booting from SATA disks, whereas the UBIT kernel does. Try unzipping the system onto a USB drive and boot with just that USB drive attached.

If you get it back to some working status, you might like to fully investigate the UBIT install as it is very thoroughly tested on the GoFlex Net platform and gives lots of recovery options.

Thank for the your fast feedback.

I am trying to boot from a USB disk.

I read about corrupted file systems on usb disks. From where I can get the system and how to write it again onto the usb disk?

Enki
enki

Postby peaslaker » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:18 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('enki', '
')I am trying to boot from a USB disk.

I read about corrupted file systems on usb disks. From where I can get the system and how to write it again onto the usb disk?

Enki

Just follow the steps at: http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5?title=Pl ... gbox_Linux

Quite often it isn't that the USB is corrupt, it is just that some devices don't play nicely with the U-Boot bootloader. Trying a different USB device is usually a good move.
peaslaker

Postby enki » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:43 am

I put the system on other usb disk. The same behaviour as above when the disk is in the green led flashing for 20sec and off after. I have tried all the tricks from Jeff.s uboot page no messages from the unit. I remember now before install the new uBoot on mtd0 I didn.t kill all pogoplug services. I took backups of NAND as described there. What is left to do?
enki

Postby peaslaker » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:28 am

Is there any action on the network? Does the router log show anything like trying to get an address?

Sounds like you need a serial console even if just to see what's going on.
peaslaker

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood