Basic Questions about DockStar usability & options

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Basic Questions about DockStar usability & options

Postby RobbH » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:18 pm

I have a Dockstar that I haven't allowed to connect to the internet. My router blocks it, and in case that fails, the hosts file is configured to block access to known update servers. Another computer on my network functions as an ntp server, so the Dockstar gets time updates without internet access.

All I want is a file server on my LAN, and it seems I've got that. But I'm inclined to think that I'll have a more satisfactory server if I ditch the Pogo OS and install Arch Linux ARM or perhaps Debian. The native OS seems very torpid, possibly because the Pogo software is always running, trying to phone home. Has anyone found a way to kill the Pogo components without also killing Samba?

I'm wondering if there is any reason I should consider keeping the Pogoplug OS on the Dockstar? I've seen some inquiries here from users who want to revert from Arch Linux ARM to the original OS. Is there some reason to do that, other than deciding you want PogoPlug access via the web? I don't think that will be an issue for me. I'm thinking it makes sense to let the Uboot installer disable the Pogoplug environment.

Finally, am I asking too much of the hardware, even with a superior OS installed? I've got a share that contains more than 500 GB of data on an ext2 partition, with one parent directory containing more than 600 subdirectories. It's probably not surprising that the DockStar with Pogo OS chokes on it. Would it make more sense to forget about changing the OS (for this purpose) and use a more powerful machine, instead? Or would reorganizing the tree structure in a more sane fashion make it easier for the DockStar to cope?

Thanks for any leads anyone can provide.
RobbH

Re: Basic Questions about DockStar usability & options

Postby kmihelich » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:16 am

So far, the biggest arguments to revert to stock functionality have been to get web-connected access to your files, and to have a web GUI to manage the plug. Both of these points are actively being worked on for Arch Linux ARM, though I can't give you a time frame at this point.

You're also not asking too much of your hardware, though you may consider a filesystem other than ext2 to give you a speed boost. Ext3 and 4 are both noticeably quicker.

Having a satisfactory server in the end is a subjective matter. It means a lot to many different people. With this, and your own situation in mind, Arch Linux ARM gives you the freedom to have the server you want (within the limits of the hardware, of course). That is what differentiates the system from the stock firmware, you are given control. Arch Linux ARM is based on Arch Linux which has the philosophy of using the latest releases of software, for better or worse. In our case it is better in many ways. Our versions of software are constantly at the latest versions, giving you the latest capabilities and improvements, instead of sitting stale at the version that was shipped with the Dockstar.

Ultimately, it's up to you. There are many great threads in the forums on what people have achieved with plug hardware, and the wiki has a multitude of pages to guide you along well-established paths to success. Will it be better? It might be. The changes are reversible anyway, so why not at least give it a shot?
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby RobbH » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:35 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', '.')...The changes are reversible anyway, so why not at least give it a shot?

Many, many thanks for a thoughtful and informative reply. I think I'll be trying Arch Linux ARM soon.
RobbH

Postby playdude » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:59 am

It's possible to install Optware in mtd3 and install samba, ftp, transmission and so on to use as a NAS. Here's the link (see under"Pogplug, Dockstars...")
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Platforms

This is the safe way to extend your Dockstar functionality if you're afraid of flashing. It's slower than a fully fledged Linux like Arch or Debian though.
playdude

Postby RobbH » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:44 am

Thanks for the advice given here.

I've had Arch Linux ARM install running about a week now, with automount and hd-idle, and a mininal Samba configuration. It's obviously much superior to the original Dockstar OS. I need to work on improving security, but it's great that I have that option. In any case, I don't think the current configuration is any less secure than what I had before switching to Arch Linux ARM install.

I'll probably explore some other options in the future, such as printer and scanner sharing. But that will wait. For now, I'm very impressed and pleased with what Arch Linux ARM install can do.

And I finally learned this much: I now understand that Arch Linux ARM install is the name of the distro, while Arch Linux ARM is the overall project. Right?
RobbH

Postby kmihelich » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:56 am

Basically, yeah.

Security is pretty good on Arch to begin with. Ports have to be explicitly opened in /etc/hosts.allow, or they are blocked. Staying up with latest versions (something we're getting there with soon), also makes sure you don't have an older version that has exploits.

For printing, there are lots of tutorials online for getting CUPS running, and then you can share the printer through samba. We're also available in #Arch Linux ARM on irc.freenode.net.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to Marvell Kirkwood