Biz may have wireless.

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Biz may have wireless.

Postby oddballhero » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:41 pm

oddballhero

Re: Biz may have wireless.

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:38 pm

The UK version of the Biz may have wireless. Who wants to drop coin and tear one open :p
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby oddballhero » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:58 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'T')he UK version of the Biz may have wireless. Who wants to drop coin and tear one open :p

With 9 plugs (various models) and 3 different OSs (ok, I was debating Gentoo to make 4), I think I'm pretty much all plugged out.
Besides, with the cost of one, you can buy a V2 and a Pro, and do distributed computing, with money to spare for hard drives and other peripherals. With Arch Linux ARM, and that combination, it would actually be more cost effective and versatile.
oddballhero

Expand Business option.

Postby oddballhero » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:18 pm

After thinking about it, Instead of talking about this, do something. Gear a Arch Linux ARM business option for businesses. The Biz option is pretty expensive but it is mostly software and configuration, the hardware is pretty much the same as your basic V2 or pro. Make it attractive for potential Biz users to choose Arch Linux ARM install over basic Pogoplug offering. Under applications, productivity, there is nothing at all, looks bad. Add a business section, with suggested packages and setup (most office IT people should figure it out on their own but may need prodding, especially since most are familiar with Debian/Ubuntu/Redhat and not Archlinux). Check out the specs on the Biz and recreate it on a regular pogo. Right now, there seems to be issues with access/connectivity by regular Biz users, so make sure samba and afp connectivity is stressed. For cloud, web server (apache, lighttpd, cherokee), webdav. Email, dovecot et al. Make sure php and mysql are in good shape. Mike, you once mentioned as crimsonredmk that you would increase howtos, now is the time to do it. Think about it.
oddballhero

Postby oddballhero » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:08 am

I apologize. I think it's a great idea that you are using the app store model. It will give users that are not as familiar with linux an environment that they can comprehend. For sys admins/IT personnel that are more at home with Microsoft Server, this may be a way to make Arch Linux ARM install (actually PlugUI) more palatable to them. Please keep an eye on the BIZ topic in pogoplugged. It looks like you have a chance to give users a stable solution.
oddballhero

Return to Marvell Kirkwood