PP won't boot after FSTAB entry for NTFS Drive

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: PP won't boot after FSTAB entry for NTFS Drive

Postby rino » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:42 am

I tried that BrianD, but it didn't work. It still assigned a new mac address upon reboot.
rino

Postby moonman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:00 am

You need to assign mac in uboot first with fw_setenv ethaddr <mac>
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby caldersm » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Yes he is absolutely spot on....fw_setenv ethaddr <mac> worked for me. I Had the same issue. For a Newb like myself, it made the POGO look like it wasn't booting. Believe this needs to be put out there on one of the incredible Guides that people are creating....would save a lot of newbies a lot of frustration.
caldersm

Postby caldersm » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Not sure myself.....is that supposed to get populated at install time...? The value wasn't in there, until I manually added it.
caldersm

Postby rino » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Thanks moonman. I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight.

Just to be sure if I got it properly ... the <mac> should be the hardware mac from the bottom of my pogoplug sticker. Is that correct?

After I set the mac using fw_setenv ethaddr <mac>, do I also have to edit the /etc/dhcpcd.conf, and comment out the "duid", and enable clientid parameters? If so, once I do that, I am guessing, I should just reboot and try ... correct?
rino

Postby fgina » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:25 pm

I went through the pain myself, viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6003

it seems like arch uses ipv6 as default. according to ipv6, the mac address is no longer the 00:00:00:00:00:00 string printed on every network devices anymore. there's a prefix in front of physical MAC to become something called DUID. this throws off a lot of home network devices.

for most people running alarm, who needs ipv6? we are not running an ISP at home. ipv6 should be disable by default, enabled only by user option.
fgina

Postby kmihelich » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:38 pm

There is no IPv6 as default, dhcpcd simply uses the newer IPv6-compatible RFC spec when asking for an IP address. Should your internet provider provide IPv6, even 6rd, this is very useful. However, this does not imply any preferential treatment toward v4 or v6, and only identifies your home networking equipment as dated and incapable of handling that DHCP specification (which is from 2006). The specific problems addressed and reasons for implementation of the newer address format are detailed in the RFC.

Don't post misleading information, do some research.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby rino » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks guys for the solution.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'fw_setenv ethaddr <mac>')
Where, <mac> is the mac address from the bottom sticker of your pogoplug device.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf')

Comment dduid
Uncomment clientid

It should look like:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
# Use the hardware address of the interface for the Client ID.
clientid
# or
# Use the same DUID + IAID as set in DHCPv6 for DHCPv4 ClientID as per RFC4361.
# duid
')

then,
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'reboot')

Your original mac address should be back :)
rino

Postby grayman4hire » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:48 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('grayman4hire', 'I')'m confused why the ethaddr isn't correctly set in the uboot?

So does anyone have a clue to how or why the ethaddr isn't correctly set in the uboot? Someone emailed me and had the same problem (not the OP of this thread).
grayman4hire

Previous

Return to Marvell Kirkwood