PP won't boot after FSTAB entry for NTFS Drive

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

PP won't boot after FSTAB entry for NTFS Drive

Postby rino » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:36 am

I have searched the forums, and there are many similar topics discussed here. I tried them all, but with no luck ...

I installed alARM on PPv2 - restarted the device, came up right away ... then I manually mounted my 1TB WD Passport with NTFS partition on it, and I was able to see the drive without any issues. Then I put FSTAB entry as follows:

/dev/sdb1 /media/1tb ntfs-3g quiet,defaults,locale=en_US.utf8,umask=0,noexec 0 0
OR
/dev/sdb1 /media/1tb ntfs-3g defaults,noatime,nofail 0 0
OR
/dev/sdb1 /media/1tb ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

I tried all of the above, but when I restart the device, the device boots up, but I can't SSH into it ... nor does it appear on my router DHCP list.

The device used to work fine with SAMBA and miniDLNA installed ... one day I unplugged the device by mistake, and then it never came back up ... I reinstalled alARM multiple times with no luck.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I tried this:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=4576&start=10

But again with no luck ...
Last edited by rino on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
rino

Re: PP won't boot after FSTAB entry for NTFS Drive

Postby moonman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:00 am

Try with "noauto,x-systemd.automount" added to your mount options list. Also try using uuid instead of sda sdb stuff. Your boot drive maybe initialized as sdb at boot if you have 2 drives plugged in.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby rino » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks moonman. I tried with:

UUID=4E1AEA7B1AEA6007 /media/1tb ntfs-3g defaults,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

in the SFTAB, but it still doesn't work :(
rino

Postby rino » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 pm

Guys any more help? I am keeping my PPv2 turned on for now ... so it will do the job until the power shuts, and it is rebooted ... but if someone can propose a solution to my problem, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
rino

Postby rino » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:59 am

grayman4hire:
Thanks so much for the udevil commands ... it works like a charm now ... I can boot/reboot my PPv2 without any issues, and it picks up my NTFS HDD properly.
rino

Postby rino » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:15 am

I have another issue now ... I can see the HDD share ... I installed SAMBA and miniDLNA ... both can see the share that gets mounted by uDevil, however, it gets mounted as read-only ... so Samba can't write in it ... neither can miniDLNA read it as it needs permissions ... how do I provide it permissions via udevil?

With FSTAB entry, I was able to grant it access ... however, automounting it ... I don't have control over it ... advice please??
rino

Postby moonman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:03 am

edit /etc/udevil/udevil.conf

search for default_options_ntfs

Would be nice to see your boot log (netconsole or serial) to troubleshoot the boot issues with fstab. Also you can try things out with "mount -a" after editig the fstab entry.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby rino » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi moonman,
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know how to enable the netconsole ... and then how to obtain the logs ... I tried to search the forums, but everywhere in most of the posts it says to activate the netconsole and obtain the logs, but no where I found how to do that ... any help with the syntaxes, would be greatly appreciated.

Editing udevil.conf did help in setting the options for NTFS, and Samba started working well, but miniDLNA still didn't work ...

After making changes, I would do /sbin/reboot and it stopped rebooting ... so I just pulled the power on the PP and after doing that a couple of time, now my HDD doesn't wanna mount with udevil either :( I guess, I'll have to reformat the ROOTFS, and install alARM fresh with writting a shell script to manually mount the HDD, and start Samba and miniDLNA everytime I would boot the PP.

Is there another way to safely shutdown and/or reboot the PP? If so, what are the commands 'coz I didn't find that info either ... maybe my search skills are not up-to-the-par yet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
rino

Postby moonman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:33 pm

To activate netconsole look in the Upgrading U-Boot thread in my signature

After you have netconsole activated in U-Boot, go to your computer. Make sure you have Mac OS X or Linux running (Live CD works).
and use this cheat sheet: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5 ... s-ui-tabs3

In shot open a terminal window and enter:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo ifconfig eth0:0 10.10.10.5
sudo ifconfig eth0:1 10.10.10.4')

Then have it listen for U-Boot netconsole:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'nc -lu 10.10.10.5 6666')

Open another terminal windows and enter the command to listen for kernel netconsole:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'nc -lu 10.10.10.4 6666')

Now reboot your pogoplug.

This should be done using wired connection only and your computer and the plug should be connected to the same switch (router)
moonman
Developer

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood