PP won't boot after FSTAB entry for NTFS Drive

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: PP won't boot after FSTAB entry for NTFS Drive

Postby moonman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:32 am

You need the new u-boot to be able to boot with kernels >3.2
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby rino » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:44 am

I installed the new uboot, but still it didn't work ... but I am ok for now ... am I going to miss a lot without the new kernel?
rino

Postby rino » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:28 pm

I have two HDDs - one 250Gb and one 1TB.

1TB - formatted NTFS
250Gb - formatted ext3

I have moved my media from 1TB to my 250GB, when I reinstalled alARM have it setup to use with ext3. I connected my 1TB NTFS drive via my computer, and copy/pasted it to my Samba drive (with 250GB ext3) over the network.

Now that I have moved all my data to 250GB drive - I wish to formatted my 1TB drive as ext3, and then copy all my data from 250GB drive back onto 1TB drive while both of them are connect to pogoplug with alARM.

I can format, and then connect 1TB, but then what are the command(s) to use when I need to copy all my approx 53Gb data from 250Gb drive over to 1Tb drive? Is there an easier way compared to copying one folder at a time? Can I do copy all (including folders) kinda thing in linux? Please let me know the commands for that ... I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
rino

Postby rino » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:49 pm

Anyone?
rino

Postby pepedog » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:10 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'cp -ar /fromdrivemountpoint/* /todrivemountpoint/')
pepedog
Developer

Postby rino » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Awesome! Thanks pepedog. I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Last night I had internet outage, and after that when I restart my pogoplug, it no longer appears on my router :( guess, I'll have to re-install everything again ...
rino

Postby pepedog » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Get another Linux, maybe a live cd or USB stick, then fix errors
e2fsck -y -f /dev/sdXy
Note X is drive, y is partition., when you run the live system, plug in Archlinuxarm media, dmesg will tell you what sdXy is
pepedog
Developer

Postby rino » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:25 am

So, finally, my PP is now unconscious :) This is what happened ...

Instead of fixing the USB issues, I decided to go buy a new one from bestbuy. I got Lexar USB3.0 (8GB). Installed alARM successfully on it ... it seemed like super fast as the installation went smoothly and was at a pretty decent speed compared to my previous USBs.

I then installed SAMBA on it. Then I decided to connect my 1tb HDD along with my 250GB HDD, and copied all the files over to my 1tb HDD (using the command that pepedog gave me). It worked like a charm, thanks pepedog.

Then I decided to unmount my 250GB HDD, and rebooted it with my 1tb HDD as all the files were copied over. I wasn't able to boot the device back again :( I tried a few times without any luck.

Then I decided to reinstall alARM ... thinking that I may have messed up some settings when I switched back and forth between the HDDs. After I re-installed alARM ... now I can't boot into my PP ... If I take the USB out and boot without it ... it works fine, but with the USB, it doesn't work ...

I have tried 3 different USBs now, but all with the same results. What am I doing wrong? One thing I remember doing was:

When I was installing alARM, instead of using the uboot link that the instructions had ... I replaced it with the link that uboot upgrade had ... thinking I can kill two birds with one stone ... but I guess instead of killed the two birds, I might have killed my pogoplug ... LOL

Since then ... I have reverted back to using the same uboot link that the original instructions had ... and have resetted the uboot environment variables as well, but no luck :(

Any suggestions?
rino

Postby rino » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:54 am

Ok. I am stumped now ...

After doing some more digging into this ... I decided to check my router DHCP table, and found out that everytime my pogoplug boots, it assigns itself a new mac address. Yes a new mac address ... I had my router configured to assign it a static IP everytime it seems pogoplug's mac address, but that is not working anymore as it gets new mac address on every reboot ... sorry for repeating myself ... but I can't understand why ?

Anyway I can keep it to one static mac address?
rino

Postby BrianD » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:55 pm

The way the Pogoplug is identified to the DHCP Server appears to have changed in the dhcpcd.conf file for dhcpcd-6.0.4-1-arm.

To revert to the original MAC address, I changed the /etc/dhcpcd.conf file from:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# Use the hardware address of the interface for the Client ID.
#clientid
# or
# Use the same DUID + IAID as set in DHCPv6 for DHCPv4 ClientID as per RFC4361.
duid')

To the following:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# Use the hardware address of the interface for the Client ID.
clientid
# or
# Use the same DUID + IAID as set in DHCPv6 for DHCPv4 ClientID as per RFC4361.
# duid')
BrianD

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood