PP won't boot after FSTAB entry for NTFS Drive

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: PP won't boot after FSTAB entry for NTFS Drive

Postby moonman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:48 am

It shouldn't pickup the permissions unless you create 1tb directory first and then issue recursive chmod using the -R modifier. Also 755 allows execute, not write.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby rino » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks moonman ... I am not very familiar with linux ... I just try to find my way :) Can you give me exact chmod command that I should run when I mkdir /media, and then another one for mkdir /1tb? I'll run those and try to mount the drive again ... thanks in advance.
rino

Postby moonman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:16 pm

you really don't need any special permissions on /media, but if you like it so:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mkdir /media/1tb
chmod -R 766 /media')

alternatively you can use chmod +w instead of octal. (+w = add writeable)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby rino » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:42 am

I tried that ... still didn't work :(
rino

Postby moonman » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 am

don't know why it isn't working for you. Just created an ntfs flash drive, chmodded 766 /mnt, mounted manually with everything default on /mnt. Changed user from root and copied a file to the flash drive and everything went smooth.

These are the options that it mounted with:
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)
moonman
Developer

Postby rino » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:18 am

Hi moonman,
Can you please give me exact commands (step-by-step) that you used to mkdir the directory, Chmod, and then mount with options (including fuseblk - I am not sure what it is), and I'll use the same to do it on my side ... hope it'll work for me :)

Thanks again for all your help, and sorry for all the trouble I am causing to you :)
rino

Postby rino » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:57 am

Ok ... I am giving up on NTFS :D

Can anyone please give me exact commands that I need to run on my Pogoplug with alARM that will allow me to format my HDD as ext3? I'd really appreciate it :) After that I'll mount it with uDevil.

Hope that'll resolve the permission issues ...

If there is a better solution to mount ext3 drives (compared to uDevil), please let me know about that as well i.e. fstab, etc?

Thanks in advance.
rino

Postby grayman4hire » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:12 am

@rino, take a look at my signature (SAMBA section).

If you're using ext3, you'll probably want to uninstall udevil and use fstab. Otherwise you can't mount a swapfile (unless you do it via a systemd service)
grayman4hire

Postby rino » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks grayman4hire ... tonight when I go home, I am planning to re-install alARM and fresh install everything from scratch ... your guide will come in very handy :) I'll post back my experience ...
rino

Postby rino » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:26 am

Finally, I am able to write to my HDD :) ext3 rocks! Thanks grayman4hire ... your tutorial works ... except, I didn't upgrade the kernel 'coz when I upgraded it, I wasn't able to boot up my PPv2. So, I skipped that part and did the rest, and it is working great now ... Thanks again. I am back in business :)
rino

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood