Pogoplug Mobile = Brick with flashing green light

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Pogoplug Mobile = Brick with flashing green light

Postby drinkypoo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:07 pm

After reading several reports of success on pogoplug mobile I decided to try it out on mine. Bad idea. Tried several flash drives with no success, and have also tried to revert with several flash drives with no success.

I was trying to boot from a HDD, from the LED it doesn't look like it ever bothered to access it.

Then I tried a couple of flash drives, no luck.

Then I tried reverting with a couple of flash drives and I just still have a flashing LED.

The only JTAG I have is a JTAGICE MkII, which is AVRish. No idea if it can be used for general JTAG. If so I'm interested in any pointers I can get. I'm having trouble finding technical info on this unit.
drinkypoo

Re: Pogoplug Mobile = Brick with flashing green light

Postby dhead666 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:43 pm

I don't know what your trying to do but if your uboot is messed up or uboot parms are messed up then serial is your best bet.
You'll need to solder the serial port, just google it for the pin order.
You also need a usb-ttl cable (it's 3.3 logic) and don't connect vdd+

In the wrost case senario you still can boot through uart, see http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,7852

Anyway I recommend digging through the doozan forums, allot of useful info there.
Pogoplug Series 4 - Network Storage and Music Server: NFS/TVHeadend
Cubox-i2 - Applications Server: Lighttpd/CherryMusic/HTPCManager/Transmission/Couchpotato/SickBeard/OpenVPN
Samsung Chromebook: Chroach in ChromeOS
dhead666

Postby drinkypoo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:51 pm

I actually did manage to fix it. Which, as you say, involved serial. I got a CA-42 cable working that I never did get working with my Dockstar, probably because I was doing it wrong. I have another CA-42 cable coming so I can mess with that. I plan to install openwrt there however, in the flash. I've always found USB booting/rooting to be flaky on my Dockstar.

Sadly, the Arch Linux ARM install instructions (which I followed scrupulously) and revert instructions did not work on my unit. Perhaps that's because none of my USB storage devices are ideal. I did manage to get Debian working by googling around over there and cobbling various instructions together. None of the available instructions there were complete either, so I wrote this: http://hyperlogos.org/blog/drink/Debian ... -V4-Mobile

I don't mean to imply that Arch Linux ARM is bad or anything, only that it's currently a bad idea to install it on the Pogoplug Mobile by following the instructions here on the website. As I got Debian working I lost interest in figuring out how to fix it, sorry. I haven't yet tried booting Arch from SD card with this u-boot, but I could give it a go if there is any interest. If there's anything I'll need to do to Arch beyond setting the root device intelligently, if I even need to do that, let me know. I have set it to /dev/mmcblk0p1 or whatever :) via bootparams in u-boot (see link above) as the debian setup mounts root from /dev/root by default -- why change?

I'm not interested in changing u-boot or many u-boot params, but I'm happy to reboot with other SD cards (of which I have a handful) loaded with Arch, and I have a recent download of the tarball. So if someone would like to see some quick testing, I have the magical picocom installed and so on and am willing to boot some other filesystem images, maybe even a uart-mode u-boot.
Last edited by drinkypoo on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drinkypoo

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:15 pm

In this case, you're using the Pogoplug Mobile, and if you had intended to use the SD card for booting, the u-boot that we install for the V4 (not the mobile) does not support the MMC, so that's fairly expected in that regard.

Either way, we're glad to see you got it sorted out.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby drinkypoo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:52 pm

Well, whatever u-boot you installed when I ran the script didn't work properly with the USB in my pogoplug mobile. Params-related? Who knows. I did note before attempting install that it didn't have mmc support, and there was a note about using another u-boot if you wanted that. But I was just trying to get it going with USB, figuring I'd worry about mmc later if at all.
drinkypoo

Return to Marvell Kirkwood