Mainline U-Boot

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Mainline U-Boot

Postby kmihelich » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:24 am

SNTP can be added in. I have no idea what the recovery thing is.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby rhester72 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:31 am

The recovery thing is this:

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,7915

It uses mtd1 and mtd2 to boot to a local NVRAM-based custom Linux distribution that offers the usual set of "rescue CD"-esque tools directly on the device - very, very handy when you have a box that won't boot because something stupid got stuffed (and directly SSHable!).

No special handling required by mainline (it's reasonably trivial to set the appropriate envvars), but it looks like when mainline installs, it completely takes out mtd1 and mtd2 (unless I read the tea leaves wrong and mistook an offset for them being plowed - if mtd1/2 is left alone during mainline installation, then ignore this whole thing =)

Rodney
rhester72

Postby kmihelich » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:35 am

The only thing that changes is the partitioning, so that one could make use of the full NAND space for an installation if so desired. The stock partitioning scheme is more restrictive on space and pointless as the goal is to transition into this decade, not stay in the last one.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby rhester72 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:42 am

No worries - after further looking at what's required, there's a lot of subtle complication I didn't realize - it uses ubifs and the image itself is rather device-specific and completely unsuitable for mainline.

SNTP is much more general-case and useful on embedded, so I think that would make sense...the rest, meh. :)

Thanks!

Rodney
rhester72

Postby phanhan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:00 am

Hello every body.
Will this help me with setting up multiple drives?
The way I read it might be what I am looking for on my new Pogo E02.
Thanks much for everyone's hard work here!
phanhan

Previous

Return to Marvell Kirkwood