Bricked my goflex home on ubit v0.6 (solved by peaslaker)

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Bricked my goflex home on ubit v0.6 (solved by peaslaker

Postby peaslaker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:02 pm

One more important thing. Don't upgrade your kernel using pacman. If you do, you will lose GoFlex Home support. You can temporarily remove the kernel from pacman's list of installed packages:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
pacman -R kernel26-withlinux
')

The new version is coming soon with GoFlex Home support, but for now you're just between versions. It is all part of bringing GoFlex Home support into the main Arch Linux ARM install project.
peaslaker

Postby Rober33 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:33 pm

HI peaslaker I have been reading through posts on these forums and you seem to be the person to ask about running Arch Linux ARM install linux on the GoFlex Home.

I am more than a little bit confused about a lot of this and could really use some help.

After installing Arch Linux ARM install linux what applications can you install? Can ANY Linux applications be installed?

Can you point me to a tutorial that will get this working with SATA, or is it safe to follow this tutorial: http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5/Official ... oFlex_Home?

I appreciate any advice you can give me. I'm a bit of a Linux NooB ;)

Edit: Sorry if this is hijacking the original thread but the reason I replied here is the tutorial I linked to is for v0.6 and you seem to suggest that this is not safe at least at the time that this thread was created.
Rober33

Postby Rober33 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:33 am

Thanks for your reply, I found the links by having a good read through the Wiki so I have a bit of a better understanding now.

Can you tell me, on the link that I posted above the instructions are for ubit v0.6 I believe. Is it 'safe' to follow this tutorial to get Arch Linux ARM working on my GoFlex Home?
Rober33

Postby peaslaker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:02 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Rober33', 'T')hanks for your reply, I found the links by having a good read through the Wiki so I have a bit of a better understanding now.

Can you tell me, on the link that I posted above the instructions are for ubit v0.6 I believe. Is it 'safe' to follow this tutorial to get Arch Linux ARM working on my GoFlex Home?

The instructions are mostly OK but...

The GoFlex Home has one SATA disk and one USB socket. The instructions mention installing to USB storage. This works OK but might not be what you want. Losing your USB socket just to run the OS is a bit of a waste, depending on what else you might want to plug into the USB socket. Using a USB hub is a disaster generally for reliable booting.

The GoFlex SATA drive is going to be 1TB or larger. The OS will only ever need to be a small proportion of this size and needs to be 'ext3' format. If you format the drive as one big partition using ext3, you will not be able to read the drive on Windows or Macs plugged in using any of the other GoFlex Desk adaptors (USB 2.0, Firewire, USB 3.0 or eSATA). As the bulk of the drive is going to be used for data, it might make sense to make a separate data partition and have it readable (and writeable) by all relevant systems. This can mean that you end up formatting the bulk of the disk as FAT32 (universally read and writeable), but the most basic and feature-poor file system imaginable. The Linux driver for FAT32 is also slower than native formats (files cannot be larger than 4GB, no journalling, etc.)

The default formatting of the GoFlex Home disk is NTFS which is not writable on Macs and performs very slowly under Linux. All things considered, the GoFlex Home is my least favourite device. The OE HipServ system is very poor compared to Pogoplug as well.

The point of this is that installing to USB is a "partitioning" in itself and it leaves all the decisions regarding the main disk to you. However, running swap space on USB flash drives is a terrible thing to do and you do lose the use of the USB socket. These two points may be enough to make you want to sort out the partitioning and install on the main disk. The problem here is that the main disk is not hot swappable, so the instructions for plugging in the USB stick don't translate to plugging in the hard disk - the partitioning needs to be done with an 'unmounted' disk, so you need to know enough to go in and 'umount' the drive at the appropriate place.

Summing up, there are a number of install options:

Option 1: follow the USB install instructions. Should work for install. Isn't optimal. May be unreliable or limiting in the long run.

Option 2: one big ext3 partition on the main disk. 'umount' the disk in order to partition and format it. Won't be able to plug the disk into any Windows/Mac machine afterwards. Also partition in some swap space while you are at it.

Option 3: some sort of partitioning scheme, with the OS on ext3 and the bulk of the disk as FAT32. This will be slower for all disk operations on the data partition, but you will still be able to access your data by plugging the disk in to other machines. You cannot store large files on this setup. Also partition in some swap space while you are at it.

Option 4: some sort of partitioning scheme, with the OS on ext3 and the bulk of the disk as NTFS. NTFS will be slow but will mount on Windows machines (not writeable on Mac). You will need to install ntfs-3g in Arch Linux ARM. Also partition in some swap space while you are at it.

Option 5: some sort of partitioning scheme, with the OS on ext3 and the bulk of the disk as ext3 or some other Linux native filesystem also. ext3 will be a good, fast, reliable option. ext4 is not necessarily better, but you need to google to find answers about the best choice. The data partition won't mount if the disk is plugged directly into Windows or Mac. Also partition in some swap space while you are at it.

For me I went with option 6 (!) which was ext3 for data with the variation that I installed the OS to NAND memory (a true PITA that I can't begin to recommend for a beginner).

... and that is why the instructions are marked as being provisional, because I haven't worked out how to explain all of that in a format that won't scare a first-timer!
Last edited by peaslaker on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peaslaker

Postby peaslaker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Further point.

Installing to the main hard disk also means the hard disk will be accessed reasonably frequently for logging and other system purposes. This prevents any power saving mode spinning down the main hard disk. In my experience the 3.5" GoFlex drive enclosure is not good at dissipating heat and I had some suspect thermal related lock-ups (OS on USB) running like this.

This is why I ended up installing to NAND for my own setup. Like this I can set a 5 minute spindown on the main hard disk and it stays cool under most circumstances.

I also had issues with USB booting because the power draw from the main disk on startup seemed to be preventing the USB stick from being reliable under all circumstances. Either that or I mangled the USB socket at some stage.

The GoFlex Home is my least favourite device but has been 100% reliable in my current setup.
peaslaker

Postby Rober33 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate your help and advice with this.

I have come to the conclusion that if I have to use the terrible default software on the GoFlex Home I would rather just bin the thing, or buy the usb3 adapter and use it as an external hard drive.

I hate buying hardware that could be really useful and finding that it is almost completely useless because of the limitations that are forced on you by the manufacturer. Also some of Seagate's tactics here really should be illegal! Having to pay a fee to unlock advanced features for example, a complete rip off!!

Having decided that I don't care if I blow this device into pieces has made the decision to install Arch Linux ARM really easy.

Looking at the options and limitations that you presented I am really keen to try option 6 ;)

I am a Computer Science graduate so not a complete imbecile but I really am ashamed of my lack of knowledge and experience when working with Linux. :oops:

Do you have a link to a guide for installing the OS to NAND all of the guides seem to redirect me to the installation method selection page?

Any help you can give will be appreciated but I don't mind doing the legwork myself if you can point me in the right direction.
Rober33

Postby peaslaker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:02 am

I've seen your reply. Going straight to a NAND install is probably the wrong move. The NAND install is static and non-writeable. It can be run with an writeable overlay. This arrangement gets very confusing very quickly. It is much better to run a full Arch Linux ARM install on some form of external media and then transfer that to NAND when you have everything working.

Take a pick from options 1 and 5 for starting out and you'll be better off in the long run.
peaslaker

Postby Rober33 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks for all of your help and advice peaslaker. I have managed to get Arch Linux ARM running from the goflex hard drive without too much trouble.

When I have a complete setup I am happy with I will look into writing it to nand.

I really appreciate your advice, just following the guide worked without any major issues but I like to find out as much as I can before I dive into doing something like this and your advice really helped.
Rober33

Postby maikeul06 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:57 am

Hi, have the same problem, hope you follow this subject.

First, Sorry for my vocabulary, i'm french..

so: when i boot my goflex home,with my 3 To disk plugged, i have this:

U-Boot 2010.09 (Feb 16 2011 - 18:44:23)
UBIT v0.6 by Jeff Doozan and Peter Carmichael
(Re)start USB...
USB: Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
UBIFS error (pid 0): ubifs_get_sb: cannot open "ubi:fast", error -19
Error reading superblock on volume 'ubi:fast'!
UBIFS not mounted, use ubifs mount to mount volume first!
** Block device usb 0 not supported
** Block device usb 0 not supported

** Invalid boot device **

** Block device usb 1 not supported

** Block device usb 2 not supported

** Block device usb 3 not supported

Reset IDE: Bus 0: OK Bus 1: not available
Device 0: Model: ST33000651AS Firm: CC43 Ser#: 9XK03A6A
Type: Hard Disk
Supports 48-bit addressing
Capacity: 764436.4 MB = 746.5 GB (1565565872 x 512)
Loading file "/boot/uImage" from ide device 0:1 (hda1)
** File not found /boot/uImage
Loading file "/uInitrd" from ide device 0:1 (hda1)
** File not found /uInitrd
reading /boot/uImage

** Unable to read "/boot/uImage" from ide 0:1 **
reading /uInitrd

** Unable to read "/uInitrd" from ide 0:1 **
** Bad partition 1 **
** Bad partition 1 **
No Powersaving mode 7F
Error (no IRQ) dev 1 blk 0: status 0x7f
** Can't read from device 1 **

** Unable to use ide 1:1 for fatload **
No Powersaving mode 7F

UBIFS error (pid 0): ubifs_get_sb: cannot open "ubi:ramdisk", error -19
Error reading superblock on volume 'ubi:ramdisk'!
')

and with UBIT rescue disk, i have this:
U-Boot 2010.09 (Feb 16 2011 - 18:44:23)
UBIT v0.6 by Jeff Doozan and Peter Carmichael
(Re)start USB...
USB: Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices...

2 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus for storage devices... Device NOT ready
Request Sense returned 00 00 00
1 Storage Device(s) found
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
UBIFS error (pid 0): ubifs_get_sb: cannot open "ubi:fast", error -19
Error reading superblock on volume 'ubi:fast'!
** Bad partition 1 **
** Bad partition 1 **
Device NOT ready
** Can't read from device 0 **

** Unable to use usb 0:1 for fatload **
Device NOT ready
** Can't read from device 0 **

** Unable to use usb 0:1 for fatload **

Reset IDE: Bus 0: OK Bus 1: not available
Device 0: Model: ST33000651AS Firm: CC43 Ser#: 9XK03A6A
Type: Hard Disk
Supports 48-bit addressing
Capacity: 764436.4 MB = 746.5 GB (1565565872 x 512)
Loading file "/boot/uImage" from ide device 0:1 (hda1)
** File not found /boot/uImage
Loading file "/uInitrd" from ide device 0:1 (hda1)
** File not found /uInitrd
reading /boot/uImage

** Unable to read "/boot/uImage" from ide 0:1 **
reading /uInitrd

** Unable to read "/uInitrd" from ide 0:1 **
** Bad partition 1 **
** Bad partition 1 **
No Powersaving mode 7F

No Powersaving mode 7F

UBIFS error (pid 0): ubifs_get_sb: cannot open "ubi:ramdisk", error -19
Error reading superblock on volume 'ubi:ramdisk'!

')

Any idea ?
thanks for your help, i really don't know what to do!
PS: my goal is to have an rsync / smb server into nand .
Michel.
maikeul06

Postby martymoose » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:39 am

hi i have a bricked unit
i can net console in to it
but i carnt get the ubit to load of any usb
any tips
martymoose

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood