mount/unmount a drive via web UI

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

mount/unmount a drive via web UI

Postby fanyangto » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Pogoplug is headless. So there is a challenge of mounting/unmount drives without using terminal, especially if the end user is not technical. Here is what I have explored.

1. autofs to automatically mount & unmount drive: works well. It automatially mounts a drive upon access and unmount after inactivity. However, all drives must be defined ahead of time. No un-preconfigured drives.

2. udevil: auto mount upon drive insertion, under /media. Drives do not need to be pre-configured. However, there is no auto unmount.

3. webmin: very cluttered web UI for a non-technical user to mount/unmount drive, not to mention webmin is a resource hog.

4. Various X windows based GUI to mount/unmount drive: works well except pogoplug being headless, it's not going to be useful, unless the end user runs a local X server and open the X client to it.

-

Are there any web UI based package that the end user can goes to a URL and mount/unmount drives? I assume there is a genuine need and unless I missed something. How do you guys solve the problem of serving non-technical users?

I'd love to hear suggestions. I did fruitless search and found nothing.
fanyangto

Return to Marvell Kirkwood