NSA325: Raid1 setup possible ?

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

NSA325: Raid1 setup possible ?

Postby waewaeebnaiu » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:02 am

Hello,

I own a NSA325v2 which I would like to use with 2x4TB disks in a raid1 setup for the data partition. In addition to that I'd use a USB 3.0 4TB drive to do backups of the data on the raid1 with rsync.

I saw http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/zyxel-nsa325. That installation guide talks about the left disk being formated. Will I then be able to extend that single drive backup installation to a raid1 setup?

Wake on lan is working for the used ethernet hw in the NSA325 ?

Thanks
W.
waewaeebnaiu

Re: NSA325: Raid1 setup possible ?

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:29 am

You could do a dmraid.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Socaltom » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:37 am

After my install, I reformatted the first drive to have 3 partitions, the 16M boot partition, the rootfs in a 25G partition and then the remainder is the data partition.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby waewaeebnaiu » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:05 am

Hello WarheadsSE & Socialtom,

thanks for your answers.

@WarheadsSE:
A dmraid is a fakeraid? What advantages does that have over the the "normal" linux raid with an mdadm raid1 ?

@Socialtom:
Did you reformat your first drive during the installation on the NSA325 itself. Or after the installation in the NSA325 itself. Or in another computer after the installation, or before the installation ? With which program did you reformat ? I have used gparted as a graphical frontend from live cds before and used fdisk & friends from the cli before that.

Thanks
BR
W
waewaeebnaiu

Postby Socaltom » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:55 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('waewaeebnaiu', 'H')ello WarheadsSE & Socialtom,

@Socialtom:
Did you reformat your first drive during the installation on the NSA325 itself. Or after the installation in the NSA325 itself. Or in another computer after the installation, or before the installation ? With which program did you reformat ? I have used gparted as a graphical frontend from live cds before and used fdisk & friends from the cli before that.

Thanks
BR
W

I reformated after the installation. One option of course is to install on DriveA, then install DriveB in the 2nd slot, format it the way you want it and copy over the information from the first two partitions, then move DriveB into the boot slot. In my case, I had a 2nd box running arch, so I did it over on that box. I used Fdisk to do the formating. If you open the scripts on the USB, it basically tells you what to do. You can't do it during the installation if you use the install scripts that they have. You could edit them, but its much safer to use the method above since you have 2 drives anyhow.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:50 pm

dmraid/mdadm should both work.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby summers » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:36 am

You could also use btrfs on the data partition, that can also do software raid.

Its what I'm doing on my NSA325 - all be it with only one disk, so I'm not doing raid.

Oh yes, using btrfs on the root partition is a bit of a hassle, you'll need to set up an initramdisk as the default alarm kernel doesn't have the btrfs statically included. So its easier to keep the root fs as a standard ext parition.
summers

Return to Marvell Kirkwood