restore pogoplug service from dockstar

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

restore pogoplug service from dockstar

Postby dockstarapp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 am

Hi all,

I have bought the dockstar and use the following link to make it runs Arch Linux ARM install Linux using USB.
http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5?title=Pl ... ug_Setboot
My Arch Linux ARM install Linux works perfectly and I can install webmin, transmission etc.

However, when I take out the usb and reboot, my dockstar keeps on flashing the orange led and I cannot boot the pogoplug service anymore. In the tutorial , it written as follow

"My.Pogoplug.com is not available in Arch Linux ARM install Linux. The Pogoplug service requires proprietary drivers which are not included in Arch Linux ARM install Linux.

Your device will always try to boot from USB. If a bootable USB device is not found, it will boot into the old Pogoplug installation. "

I would like to know is the situation normal or I have made something wrong ? Is there any way to restore back the pogoplug ?

*PS If the dockstar cannot back to pogoplug , is there any similar program in Arch Linux ARM install app like pogoplug service ?
Thanks a lot !
dockstarapp

Re: restore pogoplug service from dockstar

Postby peaslaker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:14 am

on installation it asked you a question about disabling pogoplu services. You answered 'yes'.

Although the pogoplug system is booting, the pogoplug service is disabled.this can be reenabled but there are good reasons not to; if the Pogoplug service tries to self-update, the update could fail because of dealing with a modified system. there is a probability that the system will then fail to boot.

to reverse the disabled state of the pogoplug services, edit the file /etc/init.d/rcS and uncomment the indicated line
peaslaker

Postby dockstarapp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks your prompt reply.

Do you mean that if I enable the pogoplug again, It will automatically updated the firmware and I cannot boot the Arch Linux ARM install linux again throught USB ?

do you also mean that if I really want to unable the pogoplug service again, I just loggin the Arch Linux ARM install linux, and search the cmd you stated and changed it ?

Thanks again.
dockstarapp

Postby peaslaker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:51 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dockstarapp', 'T')hanks your prompt reply.

Do you mean that if I enable the pogoplug again, It will automatically updated the firmware and I cannot boot the Arch Linux ARM install linux again throught USB ?

There is no guarantee that Pogoplug won't attempt to update the firmware. The problem is whether any putative update process will be compatible with the modified Dockstar when it is expecting to find an unmodified Dockstar.

The worst case scenario is that the update will fail in a way that leaves the Dockstar bricked.

This is all highly speculative. The last "firmware" update that I witnessed being carried out just made some minor changes to the contents of the JFFS2 root filesystem on /dev/mtdblock2, which doesn't affect booting at all. Past performance is no guarantee.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')do you also mean that if I really want to unable the pogoplug service again, I just loggin the Arch Linux ARM install linux, and search the cmd you stated and changed it ?

Thanks again.

You need to mount the JFFS2 Pogoplug root filesystem on /dev/mtdblock2. The /etc/init.d/rcS file is in this portion of the Pogoplug system:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
mkdir -p /tmp/pogoroot
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock2 /tmp/pogoroot
nano /tmp/pogoroot/etc/init.d/rcS
# make your changes and then CTRL-X...Y...[Enter]
umount /tmp/pogoroot
')
peaslaker

Return to Marvell Kirkwood