U-Boot v2016.09 released

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

U-Boot v2016.09 released

Postby moonman » Sat May 16, 2015 7:53 pm

We have prepared a new U-Boot version with some requested features, specifically:
- This version should solve problems with boot process if multiple USB storage devices are attached to your device
- Netconsole enabled
- initrd support (uboot expects initramfs-linux.img to be under /boot)
- dtb support for all devices (linux-kirkwood-dt kernel package)
- SD-card booting for devices that have the slot (Pogoplug V4, Sheevaplug etc.)
- If you have installed (or want to install) the rescue system, this uboot will boot it without additional uboot environment setup.
- As in the case of ALARM 2014.04 U-Boot, this version will not boot the stock pogoplug OS from nand. You can install rescue system mentioned above if you want to be able to boot without any external storage devices attached.
- Automatic detection of uImage, zImage+fdt with or without initial ramdisk and boot device (has to be ext2/3/4 partition or fat. Fat will only work if you specify additional parameters for rootfs partition)
- NSA325 watchdog is disabled in u-boot so a dt kernel can now boot up. Thanks to WarheadsSE and znark.

I have tested the devices that I have, but I have not in any way tested other devices on the list. If your device has not been tested, you have to know how to test this version and/or recover from a bad U-Boot flash. Tools are available (kwboot). Instructions are not provided intentionally for these devices. If you've tested this U-Boot on a device that hasn't been confirmed working, please do report in this thread and I will move the device out of untested list. If you have no idea what you are doing do not attempt to flash U-Boot for an untested device. You have been warned.

Optional variables that can be changed using uEnv.txt file (placed in the same directory as the kernel)
root - same as kernel argument. Useful if you want to specify a different device from where the kernel is. You can use SD card for the kernel and have rootfs on a USB3 drive on Pogplug V4 or you can have rootfs on an unsupported by uboot filesystem like f2fs or xfs (ex. 'root=PARTUUID=00000000-01')
Note: make sure your boot partition contains a directory named boot where your kernel, dtbs/ and uEnv.txt reside

optargs - whatever other arguments you want to pass to kernel (ex. 'optargs=ipv6.disable=1 elevator=noop')

You can also override some predefined variables by specifying a different value (ex. 'rdfile=initrd.img')

Optional variables that can only be changed using fw_setenv
netconsole - By default it is on, but you can disable netconsole completely and save 10sec in boot time by setting 'netconsole' variable to any value but 'on'. It is useful if you are 100% sure you will never need it. Not recommended if you don't have a serial. (ex. fw_setenv netconsole off)

Netconsole setup:
This U-Boot version will ping ip address 10.10.10.5. If there is response, UBoot will set up netconsole to this IP, in addition it will tell the kernel to setup netconsole to 10.10.10.4.
You need to create aliases on your PC to listen on these IP addresses.
Linux:
sudo ifconfig eth0:0 10.10.10.5
sudo ifconfig eth0:1 10.10.10.4

MacOS:
sudo ifconfig en0 alias 10.10.10.5
sudo ifconfig en0 alias 10.10.10.4

After you have aliases set up, open up 2 terminal windows:
In the first terminal type (u-boot output):
Linux:
nc -lu 10.10.10.5 6666
MacOS:
nc -luk 10.10.10.5 6666

In the second terminal (kernel output):
LInux:
nc -luk 10.10.10.4 6666
MacOS:
nc -lu 10.10.10.4 6666

Now power up your device and watch your device boot.

All packages are installable with pacman, so there is no download links!

Tested and confirmed working:
[<Device> | <corresponding package to install> | Link to explanation of caveats]
Dockstar | uboot-dockstar | None
Pogoplug V2 (E02) | uboot-pogo_e02 | None
Pogoplug V4 (and Mobile) | uboot-pogoplugv4 | None
GoFlex Home | uboot-goflexhome | None
GoFlex Net | uboot-goflexnet | None
Zyxel NSA325 | uboot-nsa325 | First time flashing requires stock OS or serial (thanks to znark)
Zyxel NSA320 | uboot-nsa320 | First time flashing requires stock, just like nsa325. Obviously change NSA325 to NSA320 in the linked post.
Zyxel NSA310 | uboot-nsa310 | No MAC associated. Needs MAC assigned manually in the OS

Untested and possibly not working:
Sheevaplug (esata) | uboot-sheevaplug | Unknown
Guruplug (plus) | uboot-guruplug | Unknown

After successful installation double check ethaddr has been set (fw_printenv | grep ethaddr), if not set it manually. You will not have network if the mac address wasn't set for some reason.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Sourcecode: https://github.com/moonman/u-boot
Pull requests are welcome for new devices and/or fixes/enhancements for existing devices.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: U-Boot v2015.04 for testing

Postby jeajea » Fri May 22, 2015 10:25 pm

Do you not have a Dockstar?
I have three that are gathering dust and I would be willing to donate one.
Jim Anderson
3 Dockstars, 3 Pogoplug V2 and a Zyxel NSA325
Treasure Island, Fl
jeajea

Postby hecatae » Sun May 31, 2015 11:08 am

Tested and working on my Seagate GFH
hecatae

Postby moonman » Sun May 31, 2015 8:17 pm

Gf Home is already on tested and working devices' list
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby hecatae » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:48 pm

sorry,

how much of the linked rescue guide should you follow if you have this uboot installed?

do you stop at rescue image?
hecatae

Postby moonman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:39 pm

You stop where it says "do not do this if you have 2015.04 uboot"
moonman
Developer

Postby wmlex » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:09 am

Hi! Do you support HP t5325?
wmlex

Postby moonman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:21 am

Is it supported by mainline uboot? If yes then I could build it
moonman
Developer

Postby hecatae » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:01 pm

tested and working on a pogoplug mobile, yes pretty much a pogoplug v4, but had to test and make sure it works with the pogoplug v4 uboot
hecatae

Postby moonman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:07 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('hecatae', 't')ested and working on a pogoplug mobile, yes pretty much a pogoplug v4, but had to test and make sure it works with the pogoplug v4 uboot

Thanks for reporting.
moonman
Developer

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood