[GoFlex Net] Probably borked UBOOT; need advice

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

[GoFlex Net] Probably borked UBOOT; need advice

Postby TastyWheat » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:45 pm

I know this isn't the first time the question has been asked but I'm at my wits end and if the solution is too arduous I'm trashing this nightmare of a device once and for all.

First, netconsole does not work. I was actually trying to get it working then it failed to boot (green blinking light forever).

Second, I have a usb to ethernet cable and wondered if I could hack this into a working serial cable (http://imgur.com/nUD2SAQ). If I need something with a special chip or whatever I'm trashing this thing.

Third, the USB drive I was using for boot seems to have been corrupted or is just bad. I tried cloning it to SATA in case that worked instead but nothing I tried would allow me to even make an image of the USB stick. Would my best option actually be to put alarm on a SATA drive and attempt to boot?
TastyWheat

Re: [GoFlex Net] Probably borked UBOOT; need advice

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:42 am

It is worth a shot worth a shot to put an install onto the SATA disk, but you wan't convert and USB ethernet to serial.

Honestly the best way is to use a serial cable and see what is actually happening. They're not that hard to come by and hooking it up on the GoFlex family is relatively simple since they have the pins exposed nicely.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby TastyWheat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:34 pm

I extracted the files from the installation instructions to a USB and SATA drive. No combination of ports or drives would make it boot.

The cable I showed is likely not a serial interface. It's meant to interface with an APC UPS and from wiring diagrams I've found there doesn't seem to be any built in chip.

I was able to find an Ethernet (RJ45) to COM1 connector though (https://imgur.com/C68h430). Can I hack that into a serial interface for my GoFlex?
TastyWheat

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:41 pm

No.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Marvell Kirkwood