[solved] Install problem on Zyxel NSA 310

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Install problem on Zyxel NSA 310

Postby moonman » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:37 am

What did you do to get all LEDs on when your NSA stopped booting? I hope NAND chip is still alive?

You can try rootfs with linux-kirkwood-dt kernel and see if nand will be writable with that kernel. (or pacman -S linux-kirkwood-dt and reboot your device, you will have kwboot the device again).

Can anybody with NSA310 confirm that nand is writable with either linux-kirkwood or linux-kirkwood-dt kernels to make sure it isn't the kernel at fault?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby bodhi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:11 am

@moonman,

The "Too few good blocks within range" problem should be soved in the kernel first before the NAND can be flashed.

This error is due to the NAND chip timing in the DTS. There are a few Kirkwood mainline DTS that do not have the correct timing, i.e. not the same as u-boot expected (40 ms).

After the kernel DTS is adjusted to have a NAND chip timing that is consistent with u-boot, then flash_erase and nandwrite can be used safely. And no more "too few good blocks" error message.
bodhi

Postby moonman » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:03 am

@bodhi, it depends on the device. Also he isn't using dt kernel right now, but a non-dt with a patch that goes years back and I haven't seen anyone report this problem. Though this was the first thing that came to mind, so asked to try the dt-enabled kernel.
We also do know what happened when the device was "semi-briked" so I am hoping there is no physical damage or something similar from poking around with the board.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby dietgert » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:50 am

Thank you moonman and bodhi,

the dt-kernel (linux-kirkwood-dt-4.2.3-2-arm.pkg.tar.xz) was the key.
With it, there were no errors.
Uboot is now working from the flash direcly.
I must say again: it is a TDC-rebranded device, which was somewhere brought to Zyxel-software by a Zyxel-partner, because on the package is an equal label. Maybe some hardware for the tdc-devices is of 2nd quality, but i don`t believe it.
The reason for the fault was easy: flash_erase did not work as expected - also in the first try.
So i tried to flash the uboot directly, without proper erase.
This was bullshit, i know, but i was a little bit angry (and sick too) at this moment.

Best Regards,
Didi

-------------------------------
edit:

Also after an install to hdd, during boot-process of the kernel many "bad sector" messages appeared.
Switched here also to the dt-kernel.
dietgert

Postby bodhi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:34 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', '@')bodhi, it depends on the device. Also he isn't using dt kernel right now, but a non-dt with a patch that goes years back and I haven't seen anyone report this problem. Though this was the first thing that came to mind, so asked to try the dt-enabled kernel.
We also do know what happened when the device was "semi-briked" so I am hoping there is no physical damage or something similar from poking around with the board.

Ah! I see. So the non-FDT kernel has the wrong number. I think it will be OK after flash_erase it with the right kernel.
bodhi

Previous

Return to Marvell Kirkwood