Bootup issues Pogoplug v2

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Bootup issues Pogoplug v2

Postby loginimpaired » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:00 am

This is irritating. I get it to boot fine from a fresh install of the latest. Run it fine for a while, reboot it fine. Then I stupidly run pacman -Syu and that's where the problem starts.

Ok, base system, installed apache, php, mariadbclient, vim and ntp.
Reboots fine.
Run the update.
Fail to boot.
Check logs. Find nothing after a successful shutdown - no boot messages. I have no terminal, so I feel screwed.
Save off logs.
Reformat. New image of whatever is the latest tarball. Boots fine.

So, I just need to know what ways I can find information to figure out how to fix this. Journalctl isn't helping. No terminal is definitely a problem. I'm tired of this after a year and a half - it's pretty stable, so few required reboots.

Any thoughts? I'm feeling pretty clueless here.
loginimpaired

Re: Bootup issues Pogoplug v2

Postby moonman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:41 am

This is the reality of a rolling bleeding edge distro. Things break sometimes. To make it easier here are a couple of suggestions:
- Have netconole enabled
- Rescue system helps when things break. You can "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt" and then "arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash" and downgrade packages from cache
- systemd-networkd.service broke a couple of times (dhcp setup, static ip setup always worked). You can replace it with dhcpcd@eth0 or setup static ip address (with systemd-networkd or by other means) or whatever other daemon for network configuration (netctl, networkmanager, etc..). Don't forget to disable systemd-networkd itself if you are going to enable other daemon.
- Finally, make sure you have 2015.07 U-Boot and use ext4 filesystem for rootfs. Do NOT use ext2.
- Install mkinitcpio package and run "mkinitcpio -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img" to generate the image. This way your rootfs will be checked on boot.
I haven't had to reinstall in years.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby loginimpaired » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:24 pm

Thanks moonman! I've been doing my rescues on my Intel machines - Mint and Arch linux. I'll try your link for a rescue system on ARM. Probably simpler.
Net console is now on. I hope it'll connect on that boot.
This machine is on a static IP. My DMZ is all setup that way. That bit of info might've helped; sorry.
I'll make sure that my U-boot is the most recent, and switch to ext4 from ext3.
I'll pick up the mkinitcpio and see how that works.

I'll let you know how it works out tonight after trying it all out. Thanks!
loginimpaired

Postby moonman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:00 pm

Static dhcp lease from the dhcp server or actually static ip set up on the machine itself? Static dhcp lease would be the same thing as just dhcp in terms of the process with the exception that dhcp server will hand out a static ip lease.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby loginimpaired » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Static on the box.

mkinitcpio is having fun because pacman updates modules, and the running kernel is behind two patch versions because I can't reboot.
loginimpaired

Postby moonman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Why can't you reboot?
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mkinitcpio -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img -k 4.2.4-1-ARCH')
moonman
Developer

Postby loginimpaired » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:28 pm

OK, fixed the mkinitcpio issue. Feel stupid now.

Reboot, and since I'd done an update, it failed. What can I look in to find messages?
loginimpaired

Postby moonman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:21 pm

Netconsole. Did you downgrade systemd before reboot. You would have to run pacman -Suuyy
You can still do it from rescue system by chrooting into your rootfs
moonman
Developer

Postby loginimpaired » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:49 am

Netconsole and systemd, check. Output from netconsole didn't show up, which is in itself a clue. Really wish I had dmesg output.

I haven't had a chance to inspect the journals yet in any detail, but I'll have that fixed soon. I currently can't chroot, because all of my other boxes are Intel, but I'll have QEMU up soon, just need the time.
loginimpaired

Postby moonman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:21 am

Tou don't need an intel box. It is still the same device. If you installed rescue system in nand, you can boot your pogoplug without any storage devices attached. When it boots up, attach your flash/ hard drive with rootfs and use arch-chroot (which is a wrapper that sets up proc dev etc. and chroots)
moonman
Developer

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood