pogoplug mobile boot problem

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

pogoplug mobile boot problem

Postby foompah » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:00 am

I'm booting a pogoplug mobile from a USB flash drive, and I've installed uboot-pogoplugv4 2015.10-1 and linux-kirkwood-dt 4.3.3-1. This works only if I have another computer set up to monitor netconsole output. If there's no computer to accept netconsole output, it never shows up on the LAN. Also, there is no systemd journal for the failed boots. However, the LED on the front does turn green. I didn't have this problem with the non-dt kernel.

So, in other words, if I'm watching uboot and kernel output to try to diagnose the problem, it works fine. If I'm not watching, it fails.
foompah

Re: pogoplug mobile boot problem

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:01 pm

That's.. odd. Since netconsole is UDP based, and doesn't care about responses.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby foompah » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:14 pm

I thought it was odd. It's very consistent though, I'm sure I'm not imagining it. I've booted it both ways many times, and it's always the same. I'm not sure what else I can do without a serial port, and I'm really bad at soldering.
foompah

Postby foompah » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:47 am

OK, I think it's just picky about USB drives. The first one I tried has the odd behavior I described earlier, the second one didn't work at all, and the third one works fine.
foompah

Postby 0xDEADBEEF » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Hmm, I having difficulty booting from USB drives on the pogoplug v4 as well. Would you mind sharing what USB drives worked for you? Maybe even a dump of what dmesg shows for the drive? Mine is USB3.0 and I suspect that might be causing problems. I remember something about USB HDD emulation being an important factor as well.

Also, for future reference, uboot fails with the following (this is with ext2 and ext4 on the the drive):
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
PEX interface detected Link X1
Net: egiga0 [PRIME]
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
(Re)start USB...
USB: scanning bus for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
Waiting for storage device(s) to settle before scanning...
0 Storage Device(s) found

Reset IDE:
Marvell Serial ATA Adapter
Integrated Sata device found

** Can't read from device 0 **

** Unable to use usb 0:1 for fatls **

IDE device 0 not available
** Bad partition 1 **
')
0xDEADBEEF

Postby moonman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Did you plug it into usv 2.0 port? Uboot does not see any storage devices on your device.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby 0xDEADBEEF » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:49 pm

I plugged it into the 2.0 port on the top/middle of the device. I assume that's the only 2.0 port since the side ports are blue. I have a 500MB USB2.0 flash drive that works on that port, but it's too small for the arch rootfs. The other flash drive is 16GB USB3.0. I may be able to try more flash drives, but I wish I knew what causes some to be bootable and some not to be.
0xDEADBEEF

Return to Marvell Kirkwood