Seagate Goflex Home - Need some help to revive it

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Seagate Goflex Home - Need some help to revive it

Postby wxppro » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi there,

My Seagate Goflex Home quitted working last week so I need to revive it. It had Arch Linux and worked fine. What happened then was that the unit had its green light blinking all the time and white light not on. I could not connect to it. I attempted to power cycle it multiple time, with or without the Seagate HDD plugged in. The result was always the same. By the way, I noticed that the network socket only had the amber light blinking. The greet light was not on, suggesting to me that the unit could not obtain an IP address from the router correctly.

I attempted to use the Seagate stock firmware restoration procedure but failed. The unit always had the green light blinking. It never had a solid green light. The white light was not on, and the network socket only had amber light blinking.

So I attempted moonman's Live CD method - well, this time the unit booted up to a solid green light (with the USB key only, no HDD). So it looks like the hardware is still fine. But there was no network access - again, only the amber light flashing and no green light on. On the router management page, I did not see a device connected.

Could any of you point me to a direction? Is there a default IP address the unit comes with when booted? Should I set my PC to the same LAN segment and attempt direct cross-over cable connection?

Thanks in advance!
wxppro

Re: Seagate Goflex Home - Need some help to revive it

Postby hetfield » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:33 am

I'm in exactly the same boat, same device, same problem. Amber light is flashing. Any suggestions?
Okay, was just able to boot by a bootable USB (I created using Kubuntu Live CD, mentioned in Moonman's post) just like OP and the light is green now.

By the looks of it the solid green led shows that the GFH is booting fine. Think it is the the fstab on the bootable mediaUSB which does not have entries to mount the inserted HDD on startup. Also the MAC address on the GFH may need to be fixed, which may be the cause of no SSH.

Can anyone show how to fix these please? Do we need a script entry somewhere in the boot sequence to execute

fw_setenv ethaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Where exactly?
hetfield

Postby wxppro » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:44 am

I am of the opinion that the firmware on GFH is corrupted so it cannot boot normally. So if we can boot GFH with a USB key then there is hope for us to fix the issue. However, network connectivity is a must for anything to be done. Like you said, a customized script needs to be executed sometime during the boot process. Hope someone can provide some instructions.
wxppro

Postby hetfield » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:37 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', ' ')So if we can boot GFH with a USB key then there is hope for us to fix the issue.

Think it is already booted and isn't bricked.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=7262#p39872

Think it is the UBoot flashed on the GFH (which is version that needs to be upgraded)... I remember doing it to get some issue resolved a couple of years ago (probably the hybrid MBR for 3TB)... but this version and the method isn't recommended any more by the Alarm gurus (and is actually deprecated). But in order to get that fixed - we need the SSH working.

I'm pretty sure solid green light means the kernel is loaded, however, no network access probably means the MAC address needs to be corrected via a script on the bootable USB somewhere. There are several references on the forums how to fix MAC address when you are talking to the Alarm. But to have it running as a script during the boot process, is what I'm struggling with.

Once we have the SSH we can upgrade UBoot or just roll back to Seagate stock Uboot and then recovery instructions on Seagate web site should work.

Getting a serial cable, hope this works...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191736125938
hetfield

Return to Marvell Kirkwood