Which kernel on Pogoplug Pro

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Which kernel on Pogoplug Pro

Postby jonsmirl » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:03 am

I followed the instructions on the wiki, http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5/Install_on_Pogoplug_Pro, and got Arch Linux ARM installed without problem. But it is still booting with the 2.6.31.6_SMP_820 kernel instead of 2.6.38 from Arch Linux ARM. Does 2.6.38 work on this hardware? If so, how do I switch it over to the newer kernel?

I don't see the driver for the rt3090 in the 2.6.31.6_SMP_820 modules. But it is there for 2.6.38.
jonsmirl

Re: Which kernel on Pogoplug Pro

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:36 pm

At the moment, we have not merged the differences from the CE sources for the OXNAS platform into the mainline 2.6.38 kernel, although we plan to begin work in earnest shortly. Some of our developers have gotten NDA forms from PLX that will hopefully aid in this and in the updating of uboot.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby jonsmirl » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:53 pm

BTW, Pro's are on sale at Microcenter for $49.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0352973

I don't really need to upgrade the kernel. But when I installed PlugLinux it lost the wifi driver that was there in 2.6.31.6_SMP_820 and working. I SSH'd into an untouched Pro and the driver is there so next step is to try and copy it over.

/lib/modules/2.6.31.6_SMP_820/kernel/drivers/net/wireless # ls
rt3390sta.ko

I tried pulling the diffs from OXNAS up to the current mainline. There were lot of conflicts. There is stuff in those patches that is there for other reasons than CPU support. It will have to be split out. Once their giant diff is split in to pieces I can help in pushing the pieces upstream. Do we know who wrote this code? Are they interested in helping?

How is the on-board flash organised? Probably partitioned for uboot, kernel, filesystem. How do I get at the filesystem? I think there is enough room there for me to swap in my apps and not need an external USB stick.
jonsmirl

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:44 pm

For getting wireless working: You're correct, aside from some WPA issues we've not quite figured out how to address yet, simply copying the file over *will* enable wireless connectivity.

As for the kernel, the main things to be watchful of are the arch & mach, the rest of the differences are mostly chocked up to versioning of the kernel

As for the NAND, it's split as such:
mdt0: 128MiB 3.3V NAND
mtd1: start-e00000 uboot, kernels etc, read directly, no partitioning, no fs, just gapping in the nand.
mdt2: e00000-end nand rootfs, ubifs (ubi0:rootfs)
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Community Supported