eSata Weirdness

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

eSata Weirdness

Postby Fieryphoenix » Fri May 27, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm having difficulty getting my Pogoplug Pro to connect to my eSata hard drive enclosure.
This is my enclosure:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817182179

I am connecting with a Sata to eSata bracket and then regular eSata cables. I have tried two cables, and only have the one bracket.

All the disks I have tried work when directly plugged into it with internal sata connectors.

Likewise the enclosure works on my Windows 7 machine using both the bracket plugged into Sata ports and the integrated eSata connector.

I have tried upping the power supply from the 2 amp output that came with it to the 2.5 amp that successfully powers the drives when using just a Sata cable.

After SSHing into the device, I follow the steps in the install guide to put the /usr/(s)bin folders into the path and stop the Pogoplug services.

Then I run:
fdisk -l | grep "^Disk" | cut -f 1 -d ',' | cut -f 3- -d '/'
to see if anything is found. There's just nothing when plugged in eSata.

Do I need to chalk it up to an incompatible enclosure bridge? Or is there anything I can try such as boot delays to see if it's just additional spin up time causing a timeout or something? Anything?
Fieryphoenix

Re: eSata Weirdness

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri May 27, 2011 6:30 pm

The OXNAS board does not support hotplugging via the esata.

It *must* be plugged in a Power On.

You could use blparam to increase the rootdelay, but you should also be sure it is not a multiplexed interface. That causes problems too.

/also
wrong section.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: eSata Weirdness

Postby Fieryphoenix » Sun May 29, 2011 4:22 pm

All right. No longer an issue, while cleaning my tech room I found an old rack mount ethernet hub that I took apart to house my plug and hard drive together in, so I'm just using a AC to molex power supply for the hard drive now and repurposing my eSata enclosure to my cable PVR.
Fieryphoenix

Return to Community Supported