original kernel

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

original kernel

Postby tritron » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:38 pm

I wonder if anyone can upload original kernel image. I had installed debian on usb drive and it installed newer kernel and now my pogoplug pro will not boot. It was working fine with original kernel. I hope I can find download for it and use my linux box to push it to usb drive. i had tried to compile kernel but I get errors
tmp_vmlinux1
drivers/built-in.o: In function `hwraid1_sync_request':
ox820hwraid.c:(.text+0x7c870): undefined reference to `raid1_lower_barrier'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `sync_work':
ox820hwraid.c:(.text+0x7ccbc): undefined reference to `raid1_lower_barrier'
ox820hwraid.c:(.text+0x7ce4c): undefined reference to `raid1_lower_barrier'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `post_sync_write':
ox820hwraid.c:(.text+0x7cf20): undefined reference to `raid1_lower_barrier'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
root@aphrodite:/usr/src/pogopro-linux-2.6.31.6-r2# make menuconfig
scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/arm/Kconfig
tritron

Re: original kernel

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:53 pm

1) Which original kernel, CE or ours?
2) Does U-Boot still function properly?
-AND-
3) Did this "new kernel" end up in the NAND? If so I know the problem.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tritron » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:16 pm

The new kernel endup on usb only. It seems that debian uses original kernel from device or generic. When I installed debian first time, after I was unable to install plugapp, pogoplug pro was booting just fine. The debian install was writing all files to usb files.
When I was trying to install plugapp and run script it was just siting there waiting to donload files but nothing was downloading. I tried to download by hand to /tmp but it run out of space. So now I belive my device is waiting for proper kernel
tritron

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:20 pm

Ah, see a revert script is needed, as documented here, to put it into a position for the install script to work, hence the specified need of a "relatively stock" plug.

If possible, I need to know what your u-boot environment looks like.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tritron » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:54 am

So I created recovery usb per instructions and my pogoplug pro had booted. Now what will be the next step to get it recovered?
tritron

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:22 am

If your pro has booted, then at this point you should be good to go other than any symptoms you hve not made lear as of yet.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tritron » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 am

Well i was able to add more packages that I want. Now I hope I can transfer my config files from my server and save electicity. The light blinks like crazy. I can't find module that needs to be unloaded to stop it. Now how I turn on swap partition ? Should I edit /etc/fstab . I also should try to reflash kernel ?
tritron

Postby braklisz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:48 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tritron', 'T')he light blinks like crazy. I can't find module that needs to be unloaded to stop it.

Check my post:

http://Arch Linux ARM.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1156&p=7048#p7048

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tritron', 'N')ow how I turn on swap partition ?

Well, don't, make a swapfile. Much easier and faster. Just don't put it on any form of flash memory storage device.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/itsmyswapfile bs=1M count=512
mkswap /mnt/itsmyswapfile
swapon /mnt/itsmyswapfile

then edit the fstab and add

/mnt/itsmyswapfile none swap sw 0 0
braklisz

Postby Cybertimber2009 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:30 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tritron', 'W')ell, don't, make a swapfile. Much easier and faster. Just don't put it on any form of flash memory storage device.

What's the difference between a swap partition and swap file...? And why not on flash memory? Because it can kill the device faster? That should be added to the wiki if so, but I'm really ok with that. Memory sticks seem to last forever (and well beyond their storage capacity vs replacement life)
Cybertimber2009

Postby braklisz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:18 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Cybertimber2009', 'W')hat's the difference between a swap partition and swap file...?

I guess I am just not organized enough to be using swap partitions :lol: Creating a file of any size on any mounted partition WHENEVER vs dabbling in partition management IN ADVANCE - swap file is a clear winner for me.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Cybertimber2009', 'A')nd why not on flash memory? Because it can kill the device faster? (...) Memory sticks seem to last forever (and well beyond their storage capacity vs replacement life)

As for flash devices and life span, it's intuitive that flash's not going to live forever when used for a lot of writing, there are no hard numbers though (and those would differ for different devices, usage patterns, etc..). Go ahead if you want to, not that flash memory prices are a stopper :) Plus my swap doesn't seem to be used much, even with all those things I installed running..

The only real life example I can remember is a CF card in my buddy's router. It lived for 18 months before exibiting wear issues (random files corruptions), he was using it heavily though: kept history of network usage in an automatically updated mysql database, run several servers (mail, chat and logs of all that..).
braklisz

Next

Return to Community Supported