Different distro, how easy is it?

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Different distro, how easy is it?

Postby b4589739 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm assuming if I wanted to use debian or fedora, I could just run your script to flash the kernel to nand, then put the different rootfs on the drive?

Is it that simple, or is there more envolved than that?
b4589739

Re: Different distro, how easy is it?

Postby tritron » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:38 pm

Well you can install debian. I wonder why would you? This distro is more up to date and has all apps thatyou need At this point we can only use original kernel. I hope someone will port newer kernel.
tritron

Re: Different distro, how easy is it?

Postby kmihelich » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:03 pm

For the Pro/Video/V3, yes, you're stuck on an older kernel. We're working on it, but we're not expert kernel programmers. Are you?

For every other reason, people come to this distribution because of our focus on explicitly defined platforms. The bigger distributions primarily just manage a port of their x86 version to ARM. For most, this means a blanket generalization in order to support really anything out there with an ARM chip, meaning they build for ARMv4t as a target. For our v5 port (overwhelmingly used by plugs) we focus on plugs from the kernel down. We maintain a community-supported patch on the latest kernels to make plugs work better, and in some cases work properly at all. Arch's philosophy of keeping things simple translates extremely effectively to ARM devices: you're in full control of what's running, there aren't significant amount of dependencies on packages to take up more space, packages are easy to create and build by even inexperienced users, and of course they stay on the bleeding edge of versions. The bleeding edge might break things occasionally -- any Debian sid user knows this too -- but they are quick to correct issues and most of the issues only result in problems with that specific package, not impacts across the entire system.

Though as I've said elsewhere, if you switch to a different distribution, obviously this is not the place to get support for it.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to Community Supported