Frustration

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Frustration

Postby Fieryphoenix » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:19 pm

I was trucking along a for a good couple weeks without issue. Now something has cropped up.

SMB transfer stopped working during a folder copy operation from Windows 7. Windows was at first able to navigate the share, but when trying to copy the operation failed. I do believe there's a problem now with the Windows 7 machine because it also won't find itself on the network.

What I need help figuring out is what's up with what happened when I SSHed into the plug to try to restart samba. Pretty much this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@PogoPlug ~]# samba stop
-bash: samba: command not found
')

So I rebooted. Same after reboot. I checked to see if my samba config files were present, and they were.

Then I called
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@PogoPlug ~]# pacman -Sy
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from Arch Linux ARM.com : No address record
error: failed to update core (No address record)
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from Arch Linux ARM.com : No address record
error: failed to update extra (No address record)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from Arch Linux ARM.com : No address record
error: failed to update community (No address record)
error: failed retrieving file 'aur.db' from Arch Linux ARM.com : No address record
error: failed to update aur (No address record)
error: failed to synchronize any databases
')

So at this point I know it's going to be a long weekend.
Fieryphoenix

Re: Frustration

Postby kmihelich » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:27 pm

You need to specify a nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 pm

And more than likely, you need to /etc/rc.d/samba stop
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Fieryphoenix » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:40 pm

That was a fast reply, thanks. I'm reading up on resolver and resolvconf now.

Out of curiousity, what could have caused me to need to do this now? Is there a nameserver running on the plug right now, or is it my router? Where do I point it?

Okay, I think I figured out what's happening. The UDEV issue, when trying to write a new resolv.conf, it says out of space. I think that since I had such a large partition, it took three weeks to fill up my drive with the huge log mentioned elsewhere, heh. I am going to work on that as the culprit for now.

*EDIT* Yes, that's what happened. Now I'll just take care of all that udev crap that I thought wasn't an issue for me.
Samba is serving again and this can be considered resolved. Thanks for making me look in the right places.
Fieryphoenix

Postby slycat » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:30 am

The standard udev error logging killed your space? Kill the logging for now is what the lot of us have done :\ not the best approach but it works.
Pogoplug Pro w/ Wireless User -> decomm.
Cubox-i4pro User
4TB eSATA HDD (8g/3700+ Sw/Storage)
Kodi / Transmission / Minidlna / Samba / Batch-audio-conversions / Lighttpd
------------------------------
Rollback Machine - Thanks to impatt
slycat

Postby Fieryphoenix » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Exactly. I killed and restarted udev to fix it. I have ALarm installed on a largish partition on a 2TB drive via the SATA port. It took more than three weeks of uptime to fill. The resolv.conf problem was that other processes that dynamically rewrite it had no space to save the change, which resulted in it getting nuked.
Fieryphoenix

Return to Community Supported