FTP/SFTP server setup

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

FTP/SFTP server setup

Postby TerminalClient » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:28 am

Hey all,
I tried googling to find out how to set my PogoPlug Pro up as a FTP/SFTP server, accessible from outside the local network.
I have installed oxnas on my PPP, and updated etc, SSH works and i can access it through Filezilla within my local network.
What do I need to do now so that I can;
Discover the external IP address
Access and download files from another computer (FTP/SFTP access over internet)
Allow others (with there own Username and Password) to access and download files (FTP/SFTP access over internet)
Allow DynDNS to get the IP address and update it whenever it changes.

I am pretty new to ArchLinux, I run Ubuntu 11.04 and am ok with using the command line (my linux-fu is not strong, but is sufficient).

Thanks in advance.
TerminalClient

Re: FTP/SFTP server setup

Postby slycat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:46 pm

I am assuming you're looking for a GUI type of installation right?

If I am trying to retrieve the info on a Windows machine I use WinSCP, a client that gives you drag-drop features using the sftp built into the pro (should be built it, I never had to pacman it). Before you can access it from outside your home, you'd need to port-forward the ssh/sftp port (Fair Warning: This will have your plug open to the net so maybe change your root passwd or create a user specifically for sftp connections w/o root privileges). I've even gone so far to change the from the default port due to one day getting someone trying to brute-force their way into my plug, since changing it no un-invited knocks at the door haha.
From a Linux machine I haven't dabbled much into it but I've just ssh'd in (same method as before) and then scp the file that I needed. Of course, this is strictly CLI, so it'll build your linux-fu. :)

If you never had to forward a port, it's real easy. You'd have to talk to your router's firewall and open the ssh/sftp port for your plug. Again, once you do this you open the door for anyone to come knocking, so either change your password or change your port. Once it is open your port should stay static unless you have a router using a dynamic setup (I use AT&T U-verse box and it opens the ports for individual components using the same IP address).

You could also check out how to run a LAMP server, though I am sure tons more complex, but opens the doors to lots of options. Webmin is another useful tool to check out. Then pick your favorite option. For what I use it for, Samba for network transfers and WinSCP for remote transfers. And welcome to the forums.
Pogoplug Pro w/ Wireless User -> decomm.
Cubox-i4pro User
4TB eSATA HDD (8g/3700+ Sw/Storage)
Kodi / Transmission / Minidlna / Samba / Batch-audio-conversions / Lighttpd
------------------------------
Rollback Machine - Thanks to impatt
slycat

Postby TerminalClient » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:48 pm

GUI not required really, I'm fine with using the terminal (usually faster anyways!).
just tried using pacman to update and got this:

# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from archlinuxarm.org : No address record
error: failed to update core (No address record)
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from archlinuxarm.org : No address record
error: failed to update extra (No address record)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from archlinuxarm.org : No address record
error: failed to update community (No address record)
error: failed retrieving file 'aur.db' from archlinuxarm.org : No address record
error: failed to update aur (No address record)
error: failed to synchronize any databases

Any ideas on how to fix this? Then I'll give Webmin a shot.
TerminalClient

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:02 pm

Check /etc/resolv.conf, it should have an entry like 'nameserver 8.8.8.8'

Also, if it is an OXNAS based plug: once that is working, run pacman -Syu and pacman -Sy udev-oxnas and let it replace udev with the patched-for-oxnas one.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby pepedog » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:37 pm

see how much space is left on your drive
df
pepedog
Developer

Postby TerminalClient » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Ok I checked my resolve.conf, and it's empty!!! I have no idea how the hell that happened, could someone please post up what it should contain so i can copy and paste it into mine, or tell me how to fix it? Cheers
TerminalClient

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:35 pm

not resolve.conf but resolv.conf

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'C')heck /etc/resolv.conf, it should have an entry like 'nameserver 8.8.8.8'

And it should have an entry like this, but with whichever ip you use for a dns server. (8.8.8.8 is google.)
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Community Supported