How to install Arch Linux on NAND

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

How to install Arch Linux on NAND

Postby mute702 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:10 am

I am wondering if it's possible to install Arch Linux to NAND of new Pogoplug models. USB memory sticking out of Pink Pogo not only looks funny, but also not an ideal solution for some applications. There is a great instructions of how to install emdebian to NAND for Pogoplug v2 (http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,72). I would like to get something similar for new models as well.
mute702

Re: How to install Arch Linux on NAND

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:19 pm

It is possible, as long as the system is kept to an absolute minimum, and the user understands the limitations of ram, nand write lifetimes, read-only rootfs, etc...

We simply don't have a guide for it, as it not suggested to try to fit a full install into approximately 114MiB of NAND.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby mute702 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:55 pm

To WarheadsSE:
Thanks for you reply. However, for Pink Pogoplug v2 rootfs nicely fit in 80MB. It's not full of course and it's not Arch Linux. It's read only emdebian (http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,72). I am sure same thing could be done for models B01-04 with Arch Linux.

Here is my cry:
I am trying to use Pogoplug to control several devices that have serial ports. I use USB2Serial adapters for that. There is no room for memory stick in such application. I put everything together on plug v2 including apache on NAND and it worked nicely. So much was my frustration when I bought another PinkPogo and it has completely different hardware.

Proposition:
There are with no doubt applications for standalone Pogoplug without memory stick. It would be very VERY nice to have a guide for such installation. I would be willing to do all kinds of experiments with it as long as you guys guide me in right direction.
mute702

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:11 pm

I personally have no knowledge of doing/operating a NAND install, but can offer support along the way. Also, I've never examined how 'emdebian' works, mechanics, methodology, etc.

The essential tool is as such: replacing the contents of ubi0:rootfs entirely, with what meets your need.

You can, from an ALARM installation, mount the ubi0:rootfs with the following commands (this is in read only, rw just remove '-o ro'):
mkdir ~/pogo
mount -t ubifs ubi0:rootfs ~/pogo -o ro

Once a portion is satisfied, you will need to update some uboot parameters, to which I will speak later.

As a stop-gap: what about a usb hub? It will work, I believe it may need to be powered if the serial adapters are not.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby mute702 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks for suggestions. I'll try to follow them and see what I can do.
Good question about USB hub, never thought about it. However, I have 4 serial devices connected to Pogoplug through USB2Serial adapters and seems everything works fine. I guess it depends on Pogoplug power supply and may have some variation from device to device.
mute702

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:23 pm

Correct, but what I meant was that if you use a hub, it may need to be powered in order to power the additional usb adapters. Hubs do work, by the way, as I have specifically tested them in the past.

Oh, and I know the the rootfs that I have packages is ~127MB tar.gz soo.. it could be tight since the ubifs reads 102MB...
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tramusen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:05 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('mute702', 'T')hanks for suggestions. I'll try to follow them and see what I can do.

Did you do any further experimentation with a NAND installation?
tramusen

Return to Community Supported