fsck on startup

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

fsck on startup

Postby baze » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:46 am

I have a Pogoplug Pro that I installed Arch Linux on using the oxnas-install.sh. I keeping get this error in dmesg.
EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
I've tried adding the drive to /etc/fstab as suggested in another post.
/dev/root / ext3 defaults 0 1
and also changing this line in /etc/rc.sysinit from
/sbin/fsck -A -T -C$FSCK_FD -a -t "$NETFS,noopts=_netdev" $FORCEFSCK >$FSCK_OUT 2>$FSCK_ERR
to
/sbin/e2fsck -p -C$FSCK_FD $FORCEFSCK /dev/root >$FSCK_OUT 2>$FSCK_ERR
but nothing has worked.

Thank you for any help
baze

Re: fsck on startup

Postby tramusen » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:58 am

Try the following:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
shutdown -Fr
')
That will run e2fsck on shutdown, and reboot the plug. Should take care of your message.

Edit - Looks like it only checks root drive, so that won't do it... Derp, that was your root drive. Weird. I ran it, ran tune2fs, and noticed that the last check was last Thursday, not today...

What does tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 (assuming /dev/sda1 is the root) return?

Mine has a mount count of 12, max of 24, so going to reboot 12 times to see if I can set up a matching issue.

Alternatively, if you have a Linux box, you could try plugging it in there and running e2fsck on it, then plugging it back into your Pogoplug. If you don't, it is a bit of a pain but you could download VirtualBox and a livecd image and use that for the same.
tramusen

Postby tramusen » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:34 am

Well, hopefully what is happening with mine right now is that it is running fsck. Got to mount / reboot #24, rebooted, and it has been stuck flashing for a few minutes. If it keeps going much longer, I'm going to try a non-clean shutdown (pull the plug!) and run e2fsck / tune2fs in VirtualBox to see if I can't lower the mount count and fix the problem.

Scary, to say the least.

One interesting thing I noted was that the last mount time (and another date I can't recall and can't currently check) on /dev/sda1 were null (I'm guessing, since the date was in the 1960s.)
tramusen

Postby baze » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:41 am

I have a usb flash drive with a backup install of Arch. I'm using that now to check the filesystem, but I already lost one installation to a corrupt filesystem.
baze

Postby tramusen » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:52 am

Well, taking the USB drive to my Cr-48 managed to fix things. Ran e2fsck and used tune2fs to change the max mount count to 48 to give me a bit of breathing room for now.

Last Mount Time and Last Write Time are both coming back as Wed Dec 31 16:00:24 1969 when I use tune2fs -l on /dev/sda1 from the plug. When I check the filesystem elsewhere, it is fine. Glancing through some logs, it looks like the plug isn't storing the time on reboot, then mounts the drive prior to updating the clock. Not sure if I'm correct or not on that.

Changing fsck to e2fsck without changing fstab doesn't seem to do anything, at least according to tune2fs after forcing a fs check on reboot. Same with changing fstab.
tramusen

Postby baze » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:33 am

I have the drive hooked up via the internal sata port and still there is no e2fsck scanning on started up. The max mount count is set to 30 and the mounted count is at 34.
baze

Return to Community Supported